This Wimbledon title is a tally in the GOAT column, but more than that, it says so much about his professionalism that he's bookmarked Wimbledon titles 14 years apart. He has far less experience, but he does have a Grand Slam win, earning the US Open title in 2014.
It took an imperious Federer 37 minutes to claim the opening set - breaking Cilic on two separate occasions. "I had a really bad blister and fluid came down into the callus", said the 28-year-old.
Sporting history was made today by Swiss tennis great Roger Federer who won his eighth men's Wimbledon title in front of a packed crowd including royals and celebrities in London. This was also Federer's 19th career Grand Slam at 35, he became the oldest player to lift the Wimbledon trophy going past Arthur Ashe, who was nearly 32 when he won in 1976.
Federer in action during the Wimbledon final. "I kept believing and dreaming - it's fantastic".More news: Skydiver texts wife to say he won't pull cord when jumping
By beating Cilic, he has now become the oldest player (either male of female) to win a Wimbledon singles title, since the game turned professional.
After the end of the second set, which Federer won 6-1, he was seen receiving treatment on his left foot.
Federer's victory moves him one clear of Pete Sampras and William Renshaw (amateur era) at the top of the men's singles championships roll of honour.
Federer won the Australian Open in February but missed the entire clay-court season to spare his body ahead of Wimbledon. Cilic is someone known to be a cool and mellow guy, and he's already won a major, and even he can get emotional playing for a Wimbledon title.More news: Redskins, Cousins Headed Toward Expensive Contract Deadline
Federer last won the grass-court major in 2012.
In the day's other final on Centre Court, Jamie Murray and Swiss Martina Hingis beat Finland's Henri Kontinen and Briton Heather Watson 6-4 6-4 to win the mixed doubles final.
Commentating on the match for the BBC three-time champion Boris Becker said: "Maybe Marin Cilic is just going through an emotional rollercoaster?"
Cilic roused himself from the emotionally draining setback to immediately hold serve and break a run of five consecutive games for Federer.More news: Blair: Still a chance to stop Brexit
- 2 killed, 4 injured in stabbing incident in Egypt
- As protests hit Indu Sarkar, firector has a question for Rahul
- Alleged Samsung Galaxy S9 with Snapdragon 840 spotted on Geekbench
- John Bernecker's girlfriend calls for sets to be safer after stuntman's death
- Amtrak: Work is ahead of schedule at Penn Station
- Australian MP's swipe at Donald Trump's sexist Brigitte Macron 'compliment'
- MCA and Krishnarjuna Yudham: Nani announces his next two projects
- Marvel Powers United VR Game Announced During D23 Expo
- Analysts See $0.65 EPS for QTS Realty Trust Inc (QTS)
- Almost 3500 Colorado voters cancel registration over Trump voter fraud probe