Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell can not lose any others for the legislation to survive a showdown vote expected next week.
McCain's absence could delay any Republican leadership plans for a vote on health-care this week. John McCain, who is recovering from an unexpected surgery, can participate.
The Senate will postpone debate on the GOP bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act until Sen.
Senate Republicans unveiled a revised version of their health care bill Thursday, and GOP leaders had planned a vote, or at least to take the procedural steps toward a vote, in the upcoming week.More news: Pacific Tropical Storm: Fernanda Expected To Strengthen Moving West
McConnell's announcement follows the news that McCain would be recovering in Arizona next week, according to a statement from his office. Vice President Mike Pence would break a tie for final passage.
The announcement came after McCain's office said he would remain in Arizona for the next week following a procedure to remove a 2-inch blood clot from above his left eye. "On the advice of his doctors, Senator McCain will be recovering in Arizona next week".
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced this week he was extending the Senate's sessions for two weeks, cutting the August recess short.
"Senator McCain received excellent treatment at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, and appreciates the tremendous professionalism and care by its doctors and staff".More news: The US Puts More Pressure On China Over North Korea
His office released a statement saying McCain, 80, is resting at his home.
The hospital said tissue pathology reports would be available within the next several days.
Surgeons removed the blood clot during a "minimally invasive" procedure, the statement said.More news: Tejaswi Prasad Yadav will not resign: Lalu Prasad
- White Sox deal starter Quintana to Cubs
- Mom arrested for using vehicle to tow kids
- Jerusalem shooting: Attack near Old City leaves three dead, police says
- Jimmy Anderson frustrated by England's batting against South Africa
- Krauthammer: Trump Jr.'s 'Bungled Collusion Is Still Collusion'
- Gold Cup: US 3, Nicaragua 0
- Live Coverage For Fiji Vs Samoa Today On Fiji One
- Stock to Watch For: Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F)
- Alfred Angelo Closed Its Stores and Brides Are Rightly Bugging Out
- Former QB Babe Parilli dies at 87