Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell can not lose any others for the legislation to survive a showdown vote expected next week.
McCain's absence could delay any Republican leadership plans for a vote on health-care this week. John McCain, who is recovering from an unexpected surgery, can participate.
The Senate will postpone debate on the GOP bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act until Sen.
Senate Republicans unveiled a revised version of their health care bill Thursday, and GOP leaders had planned a vote, or at least to take the procedural steps toward a vote, in the upcoming week.More news: The Incredibles 2 will pick up right where the first film ends
McConnell's announcement follows the news that McCain would be recovering in Arizona next week, according to a statement from his office. Vice President Mike Pence would break a tie for final passage.
The announcement came after McCain's office said he would remain in Arizona for the next week following a procedure to remove a 2-inch blood clot from above his left eye. "On the advice of his doctors, Senator McCain will be recovering in Arizona next week".
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced this week he was extending the Senate's sessions for two weeks, cutting the August recess short.
"Senator McCain received excellent treatment at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, and appreciates the tremendous professionalism and care by its doctors and staff".More news: The US Puts More Pressure On China Over North Korea
His office released a statement saying McCain, 80, is resting at his home.
The hospital said tissue pathology reports would be available within the next several days.
Surgeons removed the blood clot during a "minimally invasive" procedure, the statement said.More news: Tollywood rattled by drug taint, actors served notices
- Olympic gold medalist fails drug test due to kissing girlfriend
- Live Coverage For Fiji Vs Samoa Today On Fiji One
- Pixar reveal Elastigirl will be the focus of The Incredibles 2
- JC Penney Company, Inc. (JCP)
- US had clear shot at killing Kim Jong Un on July 4
- Man rescued after being trapped for 3 hours inside ATM
- Former QB Babe Parilli dies at 87
- Pacific Tropical Storm: Fernanda Expected To Strengthen Moving West
- Kingdom Hearts 3 Launches 2018, Toy Story World Revealed
- Stock to Watch For: Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F)