An NJ Transit train was delayed due to power problems.
For several hundred thousand commuters on the Long Island Rail Road and New Jersey Transit - as well as Amtrak passengers who ride between Boston and Washington, D.C. - that means fewer trains during peak periods, the result of track closures to accommodate the repairs.
The trouble began when a train from Miami carrying 165 people stalled as it entered Penn Station about 11:50 a.m. Then, around 1:03 p.m., a third train was sent to rescue both stuck trains. "The train became disabled just west of the station".More news: 2 killed, 4 injured in stabbing incident in Egypt
"We always have two on standby", the spokesman said of the rescue trains.
When the first rescue train couldn't reach the stalled train, a second locomotive was sent in and towed everyone to safety after about two hours.
There were 170 people on the Amtrak train, which was travelling from Miami to NY.More news: Kingdom Hearts 3 Launches 2018, Toy Story World Revealed
Amtrak announced service was restored between NY and New Jersey after a delay of about 20 minutes.
Around 5 p.m. Saturday, a NJ Transit train with about 600 passengers became disabled near the tunnel causing another brief delay in and out of Penn Station.
Amtrak's chief operations officer called the first week of summer-long track work and corresponding schedule cutbacks for commuters at Penn Station a success. As 1010 WINS' Al Jones reported, while some LIRR contingency plans have been underused, Metropolitan Transportation Authority Chairman Joe Lhota says it's too early to pull the plug.More news: Pacific Tropical Storm: Fernanda Expected To Strengthen Moving West
Saturday's malfunction has nothing to do with the rehab project, officials said.
- Tollywood rattled by drug taint, actors served notices
- The US Puts More Pressure On China Over North Korea
- Live Coverage For Fiji Vs Samoa Today On Fiji One
- Jimmy Anderson frustrated by England's batting against South Africa
- JC Penney Company, Inc. (JCP)
- Game of Thrones Season 7 Premier exclusive Fan Chat
- Over 7 millions pounds of hot dogs recalled after bone fragments found
- Jose Mourinho targeting two more signings for Man United this summer
- Man rescued after being trapped for 3 hours inside ATM
- Jerusalem shooting: Attack near Old City leaves three dead, police says