The Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity's request for extensive information about voters ignited a bipartisan firestorm from officials who oversee elections. That's in no small part because the order came after Trump alleged without evidence that as many as 5 million people voted illegally in his 2016 election victory against Hillary Clinton. The commenter asked, "now you want to publish my social security number too?"
The commission, which the GOP said was established to curtail voter fraud, made headlines last month after reaching out to state governments seeking voter information including names, date of birth, party affiliation and other data. Some include personal addresses, small business contact data, or phone numbers. Let's be clear. Anyone has the right to request publicly available information from my office, and I will meet any good faith and lawful request.
Almost 3,400 Colorado voters canceled their voter registrations following the request by President Donald Trump's Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity that all 50 states provide details about registrants, The Denver Post reported Thursday.More news: France steps in to resolve Gulf crisis
"You are evil. Pray there is no hell", wrote one critic.
"I respectfully request, as an American-born citizen legally eligible to vote for two decades, that you leave my voter data and history alone, do not publish it, and do nothing with it", said another.
This appears to be a completely unredacted dump of every message - positive or negative, with no editing - sent to the email address the commission requested that secretaries of state use, which also seems to serve as its email address for public comment.More news: Jerusalem shooting: Attack near Old City leaves three dead, police says
My great worry is that this commission is really a Trojan horse meant to spur additional voter suppression efforts at all levels of government.
Until I get a clear explanation of how our voters' data will be used, how it will be secured and what the commission hopes to accomplish with it, I will continue to protect the privacy rights of every New Mexican and refuse to share their data with the commission.More news: Jose Mourinho targeting two more signings for Man United this summer
- Tollywood rattled by drug taint, actors served notices
- US had clear shot at killing Kim Jong Un on July 4
- McConnell defers action on health care until after McCain's surgery
- The US Puts More Pressure On China Over North Korea
- Jose Mourinho's remaining Man Utd budget revealed, £110m spent so far
- Nokia 8 Leaked in India | Know Price, Specifications & Launch Date
- Game of Thrones Season 7 Premier exclusive Fan Chat
- Alfred Angelo Closed Its Stores and Brides Are Rightly Bugging Out
- 2 killed, 4 injured in stabbing incident in Egypt
- Amtrak: Work is ahead of schedule at Penn Station