It was the first major attack on foreign tourists since a similar assault on the same resort more than a year ago.
IS Jihadists killed at least 21 soldiers in restive north Sinai on July 7, the same day as the militant Hasam group claimed responsibility for shooting dead an officer with Egypt´s secret police in an attack north of Cairo.
He said that the attacker was intentionally looking to attack foreigners and is said to have shouted in Arabic during the attack: "Stay away, I don't want Egyptians".
Security forces in the country are on high alert.More news: Gold Cup: US 3, Nicaragua 0
Daily News Egypt spoke to a member of the board inside Sunny Days Hotels, who denied that the suspect was familiar to them. The industry has suffered from political instability and a fragile security situation since the 2011 Arab Spring uprising. Last year, the figure was at 5.3 million, according to official reports.
Sixty-two tourists were killed at Egypt's Deir el-Bahri archaeological site in Luxor.
A suspected Isis terrorist was stopped by courageous hotel workers after he allegedly killed two tourists.
Two people have been killed and four others injured in a knife attack in a holiday resort in Egypt. Most of the casualties were killed after a truck drove into the lobby of the Taba Hilton.More news: Krauthammer: Trump Jr.'s 'Bungled Collusion Is Still Collusion'
"After killing two women, he ran toward our hotel".
It has a host of resorts restaurants, bars and nightclubs. It gave no further details and did not provide the nationalities of the victims.
Four others tourists were injured. Egyptian officials maintain that the attacks were carried out by the Islamist cell known as Jama'at al-Tawhid wal-Jihad, a forerunner of "IS". It reached its nadir in October 2015 with the bombing of a Russian jetliner over the Sinai Peninsula by the Islamic State. It has claimed responsibility for drive-by shootings and attacks that targeted police, military, judges and pro-government figures in the past. The suspect, from a village in the southern Kafr al-Sheikh province, arrived in Hurghada at 5 a.m. on Friday in a public bus and waited until shops opened before buying a knife, the sources said.More news: Jose Mourinho targeting two more signings for Man United this summer
- Jerusalem shooting: Attack near Old City leaves three dead, police says
- Mom arrested for using vehicle to tow kids
- Stock to Watch For: Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F)
- Live Coverage For Fiji Vs Samoa Today On Fiji One
- Over 7 millions pounds of hot dogs recalled after bone fragments found
- Pacific Tropical Storm: Fernanda Expected To Strengthen Moving West
- White Sox deal starter Quintana to Cubs
- Game of Thrones Season 7 Premier exclusive Fan Chat
- Jose Mourinho's remaining Man Utd budget revealed, £110m spent so far
- Tollywood rattled by drug taint, actors served notices