Kevin Skrepnek, chief information officer for the BC Wildfire Service, says improved smoke conditions over the last 24 hours have permitted a more accurate size assessment of the almost 200 wildfires burning in the province, many of them in the Cariboo fire centre.
In the past week, more than 16,000 people have been forced to flee their homes due to a spate of wildfires in British Columbia - and many more remain on evacuation alert.
Windy Forecast For Cariboo Wildfires
"As for the wind, we're especially concerned in what that's going to entail", Skrepnek said.
Lightening and strong winds are in the forecast and could fuel the dozens of fires burning across the province, three of which surround Williams Lake.More news: Afghan girls fly to USA for robotics fair
Rob Turner, assistant deputy minister for Emergency Management B.C., said some 4,000 families had registered with Canadian Red Cross as of Friday afternoon. The committee includes the ministers of justice, national defence, indigenous and northern affairs, and public safety and emergency preparedness.
Over the past week, the Cariboo region has experienced an unprecedented amount of fire activity.More news: Gayle, big players could be back in Windies fold
In the Cariboo region, about 10,000 people have been evacuated and another 11,000 are on evacuation alerts. And if more discoveries are made, the Regional District will reach out to the affected property owner.
Fire crews have been able to oversee significant controlled burning over the past few days around Williams Lake thanks to a brief reprieve in the weather, Skrepnek said.More news: Former Senator Scott Ludlam's whistlebower has come forward
Also in Williams Lake is a pumper truck and four fire fighters from the Peachland Fire Department.
- DA to give update in Cosmo DiNardo missing men case
- Watch Trump Suffer a Daft Punk Medley for Bastille Day
- Donald Trump Jr meeting: Russian lobbyist and former Soviet officer confirms attendance
- De Mistura: Direct Syrian Talks in Upcoming Rounds
- Kucinich: Trump Jr. Meeting Is a 'Bunch of Nothing'
- President Scowls During French Army's Amazing Daft Punk Tribute
- Kashmir: At least three militants killed in ongoing Pulwama encounter
- Williams - Muguruza, the expected final
- Trump to French first lady: 'You're in such good shape'
- Nevada OKs regulation to fix recreational marijuana shortage