She fatally shot Terence Crutcher Sept. 16, 2016. She said since being reinstated she's found "sitting behind a desk, isolated from all of my fellow officers and the citizens of Tulsa, is just not for me".
She thanked her supporters and "fellow officers for the moral support they gave me the last 10 months", adding that "the incident with Terence Crutcher was a tragedy for everyone involved, and I am sorry he lost his life". I pray for healing for his family.More news: Sudan's Bashir 'suspends sanctions talks with US'
In the letter, Shelby states "Effective August 3, 2017, I will resign from the Tulsa Police Department". Shelby submitted her resignation from the police department Friday. McMurray said there had been no agreement in place for a payout if Shelby stayed in the desk job for a certain amount of time.
Shelby went back to work for the police department May 19, two days after she was acquitted. Shelby shot Crutcher when she came across his auto parked along the side of the highway, saying he tried to reach into his vehicle window despite her commands not to. We are disappointed she feels can no longer continue her career as a Tulsa Police Officer, but we know this is the best move for her and her family.
Crutcher was captured on surveillance camera with his hands in the air.. More news: Caitlyn Jenner calls Rob Kardashian 'stupid' following Blac Chyna revenge porn
A jury found her not guilty of first-degree manslaughter for a traffic stop gone wrong.
One minister said her swift return to the force was "a slap in the face".
The community of Tulsa, where relations have been strained for several decades, was on edge after the fatal shooting. Crutcher's relatives filed a $75,000 wrongful death lawsuit in June, seeking mandatory training for cops on how to manage suspects with mental health or substance abuse issues. The city has yet to fully heal from a 1921 race riot that killed 300 black residents and burned down a thriving business district.More news: Threat of severe thunderstorm has passed in Waterloo region
- It is mischievous for anyone to say I've congratulated Makarfi - Sheriff
- Nice attack: Prosecutor calls for ban on Paris Match photos
- Venus Williams jokes about wishing Serena could play Wimbledon final for her
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT)
- CBI to investigate extra-judicial killings under AFSPA in Manipur
- Hanged man was 'dark web mastermind'
- Toy Story 4 unpacks new director, teases plot
- Rahman trolled for singing 'Tamil songs' in London
- US House passes $695.9 billion national defense bill
- ISIS Threatens Bastille Day Attack With Photo of Trump in Paris