Hernandez's wife, Ernestine Hernandez, told the Arizona Republic all he wants to do is talk to people. "Lee's speech is not very well, so many people don't take much interest or want to talk to him", she said.
Army veteran Lee Hernandez, 47, suffers from a debilitating stroke condition that has been deemed terminal after three brain surgeries were unable to pinpoint the cause.
She got help from "Caregivers of Wounded Warriors" to support this request.
Eventually word spread to other organizations, including Arizona Veterans Forum, which posted a call request on its Facebook page.More news: Yankees' Pineda Has Partial UCL Tear, May Need Tommy John Surgery
The wife of an 18½-year U.S. Army veteran who's on his death bed in New Bravos, Texas, is reaching out to Americans everywhere to ask that they fulfill his one last wish in life. The Facebook post has inspired many to reach out to Hernandez and let him know that they are thinking about him.
This confession broke his wife's heart, so she found out a way to make people call Lee to make him feel better. "It really uplifts him".
Hernandez has lost his vision but his wife reads the text messages out loud to him. Ernestine says her husband is a "fighter" and has "beaten the odds and his strong will keeps him going".
"Thank you everyone for your calls and support, " she told The Arizona Republic.More news: You can get a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts Friday for 80 cents
Ernestine suggests those who want to call or text should do so between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
You can contact him by calling or texting at 202-632-6778 between 5 and 9 p.m. ET.
Ernestine adds that if they don't answer the phone every time, it's not that they don't care, but some days Lee is in an incredible amount of pain.
Ernestine says that if he doesn't respond, it's simply because he's in too much pain.More news: Specialist doctor offering to treat Charlie Gard named
- Chiefs will likely face Ezekiel Elliot despite rumored suspension
- Shiny Tapu Koko is Available Now for Pokemon Sun and Moon Players
- Nawaz Sharif dismisses graft report; terms it as slander
- Korea's Foreign Currency Deposits in June Reach Record Low
- India snubs China 'offer' on Kashmir
- Garbine Muguruza vs Magdalena Rybarikova: Wimbledon 2017 semi-final preview and prediction
- How You Can Celebrate National Ice Cream Day Around Boston
- Lynda Carter open to being in 'Wonder Woman' sequel
- Body of missing Pennsylvania man found near other human remains, suspect confesses
- Liverpool consider Lazio's £5m offer for midfielder Lucas Leiva