K. K. Venugopal, appearing for Centre, told the apex court that extradition proceedings are being conducted in a British court and would most likely end by December 4.
Taking note of Attorney General KK Venugopal's submissions, a bench comprising of Justices AK Goel and UU Lalit suggested that sentencing in the case where Mallya was held guilty of contempt will take place only after he is produced in court in person. The AG said the United Kingdom court would take up the matter on December 4 and that all efforts are being taken for his extradition.More news: US House passes $695.9 billion national defense bill
The apex court's order had come on a plea by the consortium of banks, led by the State Bank of India (SBI), which had said that Mallya had allegedly transferred Dollars 40 million received from British firm Diageo to his children in "flagrant violation" of various judicial orders. You have to produce him before us. "You produce him in the court and we will consider the punishment", the Bench said.
The Indian government is now in talks with the Britain in order to ensure the extradition of Vijay Mallya.
A consortium of banks led by India's largest lender State Bank of India, in a plea before the top court, had said that the businessman transferred $40 million received from Diageo to his children in violation of various court orders.More news: Man said he killed, burned 4 after drug deals
Mallya, whose now-defunct Kingfisher Airlines allegedly owes more than Rs 9,000 crore to various banks, had fled India on March 2, 2016.
The banks had argued before the court that Mallya had wilfully disobeyed the orders and made "vague" disclosure about his assets.More news: Texas Army veteran's dying wish is to hear from you
- Sudan's Bashir 'suspends sanctions talks with US'
- No survivors in small plane crash near Marineland, rescuers say
- Caitlyn Jenner calls Rob Kardashian 'stupid' following Blac Chyna revenge porn
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT)
- Rahman trolled for singing 'Tamil songs' in London
- Specialist doctor offering to treat Charlie Gard named
- How You Can Celebrate National Ice Cream Day Around Boston
- Marcel Kittel wins his fifth stage of the Tour de France
- Boyd Holbrook's Exit from 'Narcos' Confirmed, Season 3 Teaser Trailer Released
- White House Troubled by Russia Sanctions Bill