Wednesday, 20 September 2017
Latest news
Main » Ryan Lochte cleared of false-report charge after 'robbery' at Rio Olympics

Ryan Lochte cleared of false-report charge after 'robbery' at Rio Olympics

15 July 2017

Ryan Lochte is set to return to USA Swimming-sanctioned competition this week after the end of a 10-month ban for his bogus gunpoint robbery story at the Rio Olympics a year ago.

Brazilian police determined that Lochte, who was out celebrating with fellow swimmers Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen, had not been robbed at gunpoint like he subsequently told Billy Bush.

Lochte fans were quite disappointed to hear that he had lied to NBC publicly about the incident which included accusations of "being robbed by men impersonating police officers".

More news: US House passes $695.9 billion national defense bill

Lochte still stands against the city of Rio de Janeiro with two other charges.

The Brazilian appeals court ruled in Lochte's favor 2-1 Thursday, attorney Jeff Ostrow told NBC 6. Rio police alleged they made up the story to cover up vandalism.

Brazil's government expressed discontent about Lochte's lies, accusations, and lude behavior - yet do not appear to be levying any "ban" from the country against him. They add that the decision has not been published yet and prosecutors will have 15 days to appeal the ruling.

More news: Toy Story 4 unpacks new director, teases plot

Lochte's suspension ended on July 1, and he had planned on competing this week at the Los Angeles Invitational, but he pulled out, citing the birth last month of his first child.

In an Instagram post last August Lochte apologized for his behavior that evening. According to USA Today, Lochte had been charged with "falsely communicating a crime to authorities" due to his "exaggerated" retelling of events.

Lochte, 32, is the father of a one-month-old boy with fiance Kayla Rae Reid.

More news: Sudan's Bashir 'suspends sanctions talks with US'

Lochte lost multiple sponsors stemming from the incident and became a national punch line, but has continued to train in the pool and is eyeing another return to the Olympics in 2020 for the Tokyo Summer Games.

Ryan Lochte cleared of false-report charge after 'robbery' at Rio Olympics