Emergency responders were treating several people at the scene, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser newspaper said, citing fire officials. Emergency medical technicians and two fire chiefs have been evaluating patients for smoke inhalation, and a triage center has been established in the building, AP reported. It is next to the Ala Wai Canal and contains more than 560 residential units.
According to the Associated Press, Honolulu Emergency Medical Services treated two patients and transported them in serious and stable condition to a hospital.
As of 4:45pm local time (10:45pm Eastern) the flames continued to spread to multiple floors.
A Honolulu Fire Department helicopter flies near a fire burning on a floor at the Marco Polo apartment complex in Honolulu.More news: Carrie Fisher Honored As Disney Legend At D23
Fire officials were also responding to reports of people trapped in their apartments, the paper added. The fire department headed over to the building Friday at 2:15 p.m. local time (8:15 p.m. ET). "It doesn't help to just stand and watch", he said. Leonard Rosa, a security officer in the building, said it will be "hours" before the fire is under control.
The fire began on the 26th floor - where the victims were found - and spread to at least the 28th floor of the 31-story Marco Polo building, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. David Jenkins said.
He says paramedics are treating several injured people. "She's not standing over the edge or anything, and she's like 'Help me, help me'".
Troy Yasuda, who lives in a building across the street, was giving water to people who evacuated.More news: Nice attack: Prosecutor calls for ban on Paris Match photos
Daniel Hildebrandt, a tour guide who saw the fire told CNN: "It was smoke at first and it got worse and worse. there were flames coming out of the window and people that seem to be trapped on their balcony", he said.
Police were yelling through megaphones for people still inside to come down, Yasuda said.
One resident who declined to give his name said he made it to safety after climbing the stairs from the 29th floor.More news: Patrick Rodgers shoots 64, leads by two at the John Deere Classic
- Human cases of West Nile Virus confirmed in Nebraska
- It is mischievous for anyone to say I've congratulated Makarfi - Sheriff
- US House passes $695.9 billion national defense bill
- Supreme Court demands Vijay Mallya's presence to proceed in contempt case
- China intruded territory in Doklam, says Centre; Oppn promises support
- HBO's Westworld, NBC's Saturday Night Live Lead Emmy Nominations
- Bastille Day: Macron thanks US for WWI support
- NZ dollar heading to a weekly 0.8% decline, eyes on US
- CBI to investigate extra-judicial killings under AFSPA in Manipur
- Tulsa cop resigns after being acquitted in shooting of unarmed black man