Shares of JPMorgan Citigroup and Wells Fargo, which have run up in the past few weeks, were lower as their earnings reports failed to excite investors.
Online payment company Paypal was among the winners, rising more than 3%, after it announced customers would be able to use PayPal on Apple products.
"Companies that miss or just meet expectations or if they don't give post strong forecasts, will be punished by investors", said J.J. Kinahan, chief market strategist at TD Ameritrade.
The U.S. economy grew at a "slight to moderate" pace over the last several weeks across all regions of the country, with wage pressures reported for both low- and high-skilled jobs, the Federal Reserve reported on Wednesday in its latest compendium of regional economic activity. "Given where valuations are right now, some sell off in the market won't be bad in the short term".More news: HBO's Westworld, NBC's Saturday Night Live Lead Emmy Nominations
In the 12 months through June the producer level inflation, or PPI, increased 2.0 percent, above the 1.9 per cent rise expected.
The benchmark index climbed 123.07 points, or 0.6%, to 21,532.14.
The S&P 500 is up 220.44 points, or 9.9 percent.
Ten of the 11 major S&P sectors were higher, with the utilities index's 0.83 percent rise leading the advancers.More news: OR kicks WR Darren Carrington off team following DUI arrest
The Nasdaq Composite was up 1.58 points, or 0.03 percent, at 6,262.75.
The S&P 500 is up 34.09 points, or 1.4 percent.
Data showed USA producer prices unexpectedly rose in June as sustained increases in the cost of services offset declining energy prices, suggesting a recent moderation in inflation was likely temporary.
Crude oil was over 1 percent higher with prices at $47 per barrel. That was the Dow's first record high since June 19. (NYSE: HD), Microsoft Corp (NASDAQ: MSFT) and McDonald's Corp (NYSE: MCD) each rose at least 1.1%.More news: Patrick Rodgers shoots 64, leads by two at the John Deere Classic
- Nice attack: Prosecutor calls for ban on Paris Match photos
- Ryan Lochte cleared of false-report charge after 'robbery' at Rio Olympics
- NASCAR at New Hampshire 2017 Qualifying Results: Kyle Larson Takes Pole
- Human cases of West Nile Virus confirmed in Nebraska
- CBI to investigate extra-judicial killings under AFSPA in Manipur
- The Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) is Chesley Taft & Associates LLC's 5th Largest Position
- China intruded territory in Doklam, says Centre; Oppn promises support
- Supreme Court demands Vijay Mallya's presence to proceed in contempt case
- Multiple reports: Second person arrested in missing men case
- Tulsa cop resigns after being acquitted in shooting of unarmed black man