"Disney and I go way back, since I was a little kid, I mean way back", Goldberg, 61, said in a statement.
Lee got emotional during his acceptance speech, recalling a time when he saved up money to buy a book about Walt Disney as a boy.
"When they told me, I said: 'Are you sure they're not wanting Mark Harmon or Jon Hamm or even Dorothy Hamill?'" he said.
ANAHEIM, USA - Mark Hamill, who played the iconic Luke Sykwalker in the Star Wars films, paid tribute to the late Carrie Fisher as he accepted his Disney Legends award. Iger not only promoted the company's latest movies, television shows, and theme parks he teased #Carrie Fisher's last appearance in a "Star Wars" franchise film. He was more than a man, he was an inspiration.More news: Shiny Tapu Koko is Available Now for Pokemon Sun and Moon Players
Iger introduced Fisher, who died previous year at the age of 60, as a Disney legend.
"May the force be with you always", she wrote, winning an ovation from the audience of around 5,000 packed into the Anaheim Convention Center in southern California. "I loved her. We were like siblings. Were incredibly proud to call her a Disney Legend", Iger added.
The letter read: 'As far back as I can remember, my mom and I have been Disney fanatics. I was so obsessed with Ariel that I wanted to change my name.
"Becoming part of the Disney family was truly an wonderful moment for her", she continued, "She secretly always wanted to be a Disney princess, so getting to be a Disney princess and a Disney legend would have been her ultimate dream". She secretly always wanted to be a Disney princess, so getting to be a Disney princess and a Disney legend would have been her ultimate dream.More news: 3D printing helps ETH Zurich scientists create beating silicone heart
Other honourees included Oprah Winfrey and Julie Taymor, who directed Disney's The Lion King musical.
"She would be making me laugh and be off camera extending her middle finger - one of her favourite gestures".
Star Wars creator George Lucas had his turn in 2015.
Mark Hamill - who played Fisher's brother in Star Wars - had some kind amusing words for the original space princess.More news: White House Troubled by Russia Sanctions Bill
"Instead, I got to take her", Goldberg said. "The good and the bad!", he said while remembering Fisher.
- Former Russian Spy Attended Trump Jr. Meeting
- Yankees' Pineda Has Partial UCL Tear, May Need Tommy John Surgery
- Earth's last survivors are going to be water bears
- Turkish police detain producer of Erdogan film over Gulen links
- Toy Story 4 unpacks new director, teases plot
- Liverpool consider Lazio's £5m offer for midfielder Lucas Leiva
- Jose Mourinho: 'Zlatan Ibrahimovic could sign new Manchester United deal'
- Chiefs will likely face Ezekiel Elliot despite rumored suspension
- Venus Williams jokes about wishing Serena could play Wimbledon final for her
- Askew-Henry makes another watch list