Officials say they never gave up the search for a wanted fugitive and the Federal Bureau of Investigation hopes remains found in the backyard of a Dartmouth home belong to the man accused of killing a Pennsylvania police chief in 1980.
Kristen Setera, a spokeswoman for the FBI's Boston division, said authorities were at the home to search for evidence 'as part of our ongoing efforts to locate longtime fugitive Donald Eugene Webb'.
The FBI and Pennsylvania and MA authorities announced Friday the remains have been positively identified.
MA state police detectives obtained a search warrant as part of a separate investigation that led to the discovery of Webb's body on the North Dartmouth property, 28 Maplecrest Drive.More news: Morrison teen charged with first-degree murder in connection with slain family member
Webb was being sought in connection with the murder of Police Chief Gregory Adams of Saxonburg, Pennsylvania on December 4, 1980.
Police recently had a break in the case when investigators found a hidden room on the other side of a closet in his wife Lillian's house in Dartmouth.
The FBI says that solving this case would be a big victory for law enforcement and the victim's family. Webb has been a fugitive since Adams was shot.
"Although it's unfortunate Mr. Webb will never be brought to justice to pay for his crimes, we're hopeful the family can find some closure in knowing that this alleged murderer has been located", he added.More news: Will Target's Profitability Improve Due to Higher Sales Outlook?
In the years since, he has been known as: Donald Eugene Perkins, Donald Eugene Pierce, John S. Portas, Stanley John Portas, Bev Webb, Eugene Bevlin Webb, Eugene Donald Webb, and Stanley Webb.
"What appear to be human remains have been discovered", District Attorney Thomas Quinn said at a news conference Thursday evening.
Current Saxonburg Police Chief Joe Beachen was on scene of the discovery. "While the hurt will continue, at least doubt about what happened that day has been eliminated".More news: 80 percent of Windows phones just lost support
- Kansas State Football Player Comes Out As Gay
- Presidential poll: Naveen rules out possibilities of cross voting by BJD leaders
- Shah Rukh Khan gives desi feels driving a tractor in Punjab
- Doctor Who: The 13th Doctor Will be Revealed this Sunday!
- Avan Jogia From "Victorious" Might Play "Aladdin" In Disney's Live Action Remake
- Sorry, NASA Can't Afford to Take you to Mars
- Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (APC) Shares Bought by Loomis Sayles & Co. LP
- AL GOP Sen. Luther Strange Says Donald Trump is a "Biblical Miracle"
- Scattered showers, thunderstorms over Topeka shut down Fiesta Mexicana Thursday
- Trump defends son's meeting with Russian lawyer