Arians said he was out at dinner in December with his wife when his doctor called.
Arians said in the book released Tuesday that he feels "great", and is coaching at age 64 to inspire others who have battled cancer. Arians coached through the end of the season and underwent surgery during which a "portion" of the kidney had to be removed. Arians is a real football guy and basically the NFL's answer to Charlie Kelly.More news: Trump Lawyer Marc Kasowitz Goes On Profanity-Filled Email Rant
Pagano came calling, however, and Arians agreed to jump on as his OC with the Colts.
When asked if 2017 could possibly be his past year coaching in the NFL, Arians said he would only retire if doctors told him he should. Arians told ESPN on Thursday that his health will dictate whether he's on the sideline again in 2018 but that he never wavered on coaching in 2017 despite three medical issues in five months last season.More news: Watch a Giant Sunspot Whirl Across the Sun in Incredible NASA Video
The transformation from longtime assistant to perhaps the best National Football League coach not named Belichick was child's play, however, compared to some of the off-the-field issues Arians has had to traverse in recent years.
Arians beat prostate cancer in 2007. The next year with the Cards, Arians had to deal with skin cancer, and last year it was the diverticulitis and the far more serious renal issue.More news: Gigi Hadid Reveals The Sweetest Thing Zayn Malik Ever Did For Her
"Nothing is guaranteed in life", Arians wrote. "Every day needs to enjoyed and celebrated to the fullest". But another factor will help Arians decide when to hang it up.
- Bride: Wedding dress chain closing, bridesmaids' dresses missing
- Michiganders swept up in health care fraud investigation
- Former Texas Rangers owner near deal to buy Hurricanes, report says
- Brandon Marshall Walks Off From Boston Radio Interview
- Google acquires Bengaluru-based artificial intelligence firm Halli Labs
- SoundCloud's desperate layoff maneuver only bought itself enough time until Q4
- Occidental Petroleum Increases Dividend
- Economists urge Trump not to impose new steel tariffs
- Ajax-speler Nouri buiten levensgevaar na reanimatie op het veld
- MS police arrest 3 in assault on Facebook video