The Aam Aadmi Party on Thursday made a decision to support Opposition's Presidential candidate Meira Kumar. "During its first tenure Mr Kejriwal formed the Government in coalition with the Congress party and now it has made a decision to support Meira Kumar who is Congress nominee for the post of President election", Mr Sirsa said in a statement.
"The election of the President and the Vice-President should be above partisan politics and we would have preferred a consensus candidate".
Mr. Singh said the AAP was also backing Ms. Kumar because the Opposition had a major role to play in the country's politics in the present circumstances.More news: (ANF) a good buy?
Kumar also said the caste system had "insulted" a large chunk of the country's population to the extent that it had "crippled" them.
"People were of the view from day one that Arvind Kejriwal is creation of the Congress party and AAP is "B" team of it and this is second time when it has been proved". She met Mayawati at the latter's residence, while the meeting with Yadav took place at the SP headquarters here.
Senior Congress leader Meira Kumar, fielded by various opposition parties led by the Congress, is pitted against the National Democratic Alliance's Ram Nath Kovind.More news: 40% of Americans View N. Korea as Greatest Threat to US Security
Some opposition parties, including the JD (U), Telangana Rashtra Samithi, the YSR Congress and the Biju Janta Dal, have extended support to Kovind's candidature.
The AAP is the principal opposition party in Punjab.
The AAP's vote share accounts for around 9,000 as it has 67 MLAs in Delhi and 20 in Punjab, apart from four MPs from Punjab, which is less than 1% of the total votes in the Presidential election.More news: Timberwolves' Dieng to play in NBA Africa exhibition
- Tiemoue Bakayoko set for Chelsea medicals
- China trading more with North Korea but buying less coal
- Ranbir Kapoor to begin filming Dragon in October
- Presidential poll: Naveen rules out possibilities of cross voting by BJD leaders
- Honda Accord Debuts With Turbo Engines, 10-Speed Transmission
- Dow hits record as Fed signals gradual rate hikes
- Grassley questions Russian lawyer who travelled to US
- Dow Jones Closes at Record High for Second Straight Day
- Sorry, NASA Can't Afford to Take you to Mars
- Avan Jogia From "Victorious" Might Play "Aladdin" In Disney's Live Action Remake