President Donald Trump thinks his budget math adds up, but a congressional budget agency sees it differently.
In a show of support for the Republican-backed health care bill, the White House launched an attack on the Congressional Budget Office. The White House had claimed it would reach a $16 billion budget surplus by that year.More news: Inter ready to trump United in Matic chase
The cumulative deficit from 2018 to 2027 under Trump's budget, if enacted, would total $6.8 trillion. The CBO analysis found that Trump's budget would reduce the deficit by $3.3 trillion, as opposed to the $5.6 trillion reduction promised by the White House. When the first version of the Trumpcare bill was unveiled in March, Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney tried to discredit the CBO before it even had a chance to release its analysis of the bill, arguing on ABC's This Week that the CBO's analysis of Obamacare was inaccurate. "CBO agrees that this is the largest deficit reduction package in American history".
The video echoes a talking point White House officials have used for months.More news: Chosen for Big 12 Preseason Defensive Player of the Year
The nonpartisan tax and budget analysis agency estimates the White House budget proposal rolled out in May would cut the federal deficit by almost one-third from 2018 to 2027 compared to current baseline projections.
The CBO carries a lot of weight in Washington, however, and its assessment of the Trump budget plan won't give Congress any reason to embrace a budget proposal that was probably going to be largely ignored. "The people I worked for in the White House would never have done this".More news: New Photos From Disney's 'A Wrinkle In Time' Land Online
- Ni no Kuni 2's Release Pushed Back to 2018
- Florida cops pull over state's only black attorney
- Uber gives up the fight in Russian Federation
- Visa for Kulbhushan Jadhav's mother under consideration: FO
- Federer into Wimbledon semi-finals
- Watch the 69th Emmy Awards Nominations LIVE This Thursday
- AstraZeneca share price tumbles as report suggests CEO is leaving for Teva
- Trump in France: Will Macron make ties great again?
- Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL) Q2 Profit, Revenue Miss The Mark
- Where Ensco Plc (ESV) Stands on Analytical Review Chart?