Given the more relaxed atmosphere with the All-Star Game no longer counting for homefield advantage in the World Series, Cruz decided he had another opportunity.
Joe West has been an Major League Baseball umpire since 1976. He wanted a photo of himself at the plate with umpire Joe West, so Molina took the pic for Cruz.
And the end result was pretty magnificent, as Cruz proudly displayed during his dugout chat with FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal.More news: Gran Turismo Sport Launches October 17 on PS4
The game itself was not a barn-burner by any means, but there were a few moments of levity that stood out as highlights to baseball fans showing what good the game could produce.
Cruz pulled out his phone and asked a dumbfounded Molina and West for a picture.
The insane part of the story is after Cruz, 37, almost homered off Zack Greinke with a cell phone in his back pocket, Molina, 34, went deep in the next half-inning, tying the game at one.More news: Manchester City to sign Kyle Walker from Tottenham for £50 million
According to the Seattle Times, Cruz and West's relationship goes back to Cruz's rookie season, where the longtime umpire was forgiving of a mental error by the young player.
"I slide on my right side always, so it was safe. The second time, I left my phone on the bench because I played defense and I got on base, walk, and I forgot my cell phone that time".More news: Hyundai i30 N Revealed with 275 HP, E-LSD and Drive Modes
- Trailer Released For Final Season Of Teen Wolf
- Atletico Madrid confirm Vitolo signing
- Private space company plans to mine rocks on the Moon
- Get a look at yet another new flavor from Blue Bell
- Woman charged with murdering her three-year-old son in Dublin
- NASA releases pictures of Jupiter's spot
- UT professor gives pointers on solar eclipse
- Rare Sumatran tiger birthing in zoo caught on tape
- Official apologizes to sexual violence victims
- Rs 50000 Penalty on People Dumping Waste in River Ganga, Directs NGT