There were no immediate reports of injuries, according to FDNY officials.
One vehicle on the train derailed as it was leaving Track 11 at around 8:50 p.m., according to officials.
At least one auto of a New Jersey Transit train derailed at Penn Station in Manhattan at about 8:55 p.m. Thursday.More news: Big Trouble for Coastal Florida as Antarctic Ice Shelf Splits
Tickets are being cross honored on the PATH as well as on NJ Transit buses and private carrier buses, according to the agency.
Penn Station is the nation's busiest train station. Two previous derailments, a power failure and signal problems at Penn Station have pushed Amtrak to begin replacing aging tracks and equipment and have caused numerous delays.More news: New Clippers point guard Milos Teodosic is one of basketball's flashiest passers
Twitter user Kate Malloy called the scene "mayhem" alongside a photo showing firetrucks outside of the transit hub.
Officials at Penn Station encouraged travelers to seek alternative means of transportation.
More than 600,000 people go through Penn Station daily - more than LaGuardia, JFK and Newark airports combined.More news: Novak Djokovic breezes into third round at Wimbledon
- Lil Wayne Drops 4 New Songs Amid Ongoing Cash Money Drama
- Cent Disses Jay-Z's '4:44' - Says It's 'Golf Course Music'
- So-called IOK assembly adopts GST resolution
- Former defensive coordinator counters Penn State suit, claims 'intolerable' work environment
- Destiny 2's Open Beta Gets a Trailer Ahead of 18th July Launch
- James Johnson agrees to 4-year deal to stay with Heat
- Royals' Mike Moustakas selected to second All-Star Game in fan vote
- Calm down everyone, Ed Sheeran says he HASN'T quit Twitter, after all
- In Mexico : Five inmates killed in prison brawl
- Tearful Kittel wins Tour de France sixth stage