Worldpay, once part of Royal Bank of Scotland Group PLC, builds and runs the systems that allow retailers to take a customer's card details and ensure their transaction is captured, authorized, processed and settled.
Global payments processor Worldpay saw its value surge by £2bn as it confirmed it had received competing takeover approaches from Wall Street giant JP Morgan and United States rival Vantiv.
Shares in the company surged 70p to 389.7p, as analysts at Mediobanca Securities suggested technology titans Google (GOOGL.O), Amazon (AMZN.O) and Apple (AAPL.O) could join the fray.More news: Porsche 911 GT2 RS Appears At Goodwood
Automated payments providers are a popular target at the moment with Danish payment services provider Nets A/S (NETS.CO) revealing at the weekend it had also received bid approaches.
The company reported a £2.4m pre-tax profit for 12 months to 30 April, compared with a £29.4m loss in the previous year.
Worldpay's stock value rocketed during morning trading on the London Stock Exchange (LSE), valuing the company at more than £7 billion.More news: Still possess old demonetised notes? SC might come to your rescue!
Worldpay has enjoyed similar success when it comes to handling airline payments and in facilitating B2B digital content including SaaS and online publishing.
Based in London, Worldpay has become a dominant force in the United Kingdom with 5,000 employees and responsibility for handling 40% of all transactions conducted within the country.More news: Pakistan fast bowler Kainat Imtiaz's picture with Jhulan Goswami warms hearts
The acquisition of Worldpay would be an important move within this area, as the company is a staple of small and medium sized businesses, such as pubs.
- Juncker lashes out at 'ridiculous' European Union parliament
- Florian Lejeune has now passed Newcastle United medical, announcement imminent — Marca
- Auto splash: Motorist drives into Colorado Springs swimming pool
- Asus ZenFone 4 Max With 5000mAh Battery Launched: Price, Specifications
- US Carries Out Drone Strike Against Shabab Militants in Somalia
- GST rollout: 22 states including Delhi, Maharashtra abolish check posts
- Commonly prescribed gastric acid drug may increase death risk, study shows
- 'Bigg Boss' contestant Mandana Karimi files domestic violence case against husband!
- Ed Sheeran 'quits' Twitter over online abuse
- The Xbox One X with PS buttons Anthem video is down