A couple from Arkansas, believed to have been living out of their vehicle in California, is behind bars after a toddler was found dead in their back seat.
The toddler, whose age has not been released by police, was found under a stack of blankets in a white SUV in Rancho Cordova - about 15 miles east of Sacramento - on Wednesday afternoon.
Phakhin and Smith were arrested for child endangerment and conspiracy, and booked at the Sacramento County Main Jail.
Authorities stated they believe the couple arrived in California in February 2017.More news: Microsoft Is Adding Cortana to Its Office Suite
A man and women are under investigation for a child's death in an incident that occurred after authorities noticed a SUV parked the wrong way in Rancho Cordova, California, on Wednesday. Two people, a man and woman, were around the truck.
Phakhin and Smith were being held on $1 million bail each and are scheduled to be arraigned in Sacramento Superior Court on Friday.
Phakhin is the biological mother of the toddler, and Smith is Phakhin's boyfriend.More news: Trump's longtime bodyguard to reportedly face questions in Russian Federation probe
There were no signs of trauma, deputies said.
After determining they owned the vehicle, a records check was performed, which revealed an outstanding warrant for Smith in Arkansas, according to the statement.
Officials say the male and female adults were detained and are being questioned by detectives.
The girl's cause of death will be determined by the Sacramento County Coroner's Office, which could lead to additional charges for the couple.More news: Major League Baseball umpire saves woman from jumping off Pittsburgh's Roberto Clemente Bridge
- Jo Konta beats world No 1 Angelique Kerber after awful fall
- Nova Launcher users can now enable Google Now via an APK download
- BMW to invest RS 130crore in India
- Foundation Claims Victory in Church Playground Case
- Somehow, Canada's not mad it can't eat this poutine doughnut
- Warriors to Do 'Whatever it Takes' to Re-Sign Stephen Curry
- How Analysts Feel About Stagecoach Group plc (LON:SGC)?
- Brussels Bomb Suspect Identified as Moroccan from Molenbeek Previously 'Known to Police'
- Olive Oil Might Prevent the Development of Alzheimer's Disease
- Retailer lists Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy for Xbox One