But with Leipzig now asking for £70 million - during a summer transfer window that's been filled with promises of just how much the club is willing to spend - things are looking more positive for Liverpool.
But, with RB Leipzig in the Champions League next season and having no financial need to sell, Keita will not come cheap. On the surface, Keita's prospects of playing in European competition do look a bit better playing for Leipzig, but shallow squad depth could prove to be the demise of the club that was so impressive in their first ever Bundesliga campaign.More news: Malayalam actress assault case: AMMA backs actor Dileep
Liverpool's record signing is Mohamed Salah at 36.9 million pounds. It seems unlikely that, should Leipzig be convinced to part with him, he would turn down a move to Liverpool.
Jurgen Klopp wants to strengthen his midfield with the addition of the Guinea global, although the Bundesliga club are determined to keep hold of him for their Champions League campaign. According to the Mirror, the Powers are more than okay with putting together another record-breaking bit for Klopp's top choice for central midfielder.More news: Ellis Short calls off attempt to sell relegated Sunderland
With the campaign he had, and the way Leipzig impressed everyone last season, Keita's stock will only continue to grow.
Who will be Liverpool's third signing of the summer? His speed and skill on the ball could see him play in either the middle or front three of the 4-3-3 formation that Klopp so often favors for his Liverpool side. Clearly, a lot hinges on what happens over his contract.More news: Royal Keep: Is Saudi Arabia's Deposed Crown Prince on Lockdown?
One thing that has nothing to do with Keita, though, is Liverpool's interest in unsettled Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
- Bank of Canada's Poloz says rate cuts have done their job
- Kevin Durant to release 'Still KD' documentary chronicling path to National Basketball Association title
- How to install the MacOS High Sierra public beta
- Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc. Boosts Darden Restaurants, Inc. (DRI) Price Target to $0.00
- Thrilling 'Baby Driver' a fun romp with a killer soundtrack
- Check out the Voice Cast for the Castlevania Netflix Series
- Commissioner: Brexit could see €20bn annual hole in European Union budget
- Record low gas prices over holiday weekend
- Chinese army rejects Indian Army chief General Bipin Rawat's comments on war
- North Korea 'tests rocket engine for ICBM'