The Toronto Police said the man had previously attacked a 60-year-old woman and opened fire on a woman in the north of the metropolis at about 6:30 am on Wednesday morning.
The man who is in custody allegedly shot a woman and assaulted a man before stealing a vehicle at Finch Avenue and Norfinch Drive before 7 a.m. on Wednesday. He also allegedly shot officers who intervened in connection with the shooting, before fleeing on August 400 with the vehicle of the victim.
Multiple police services pursued the suspect northbound on Highway 400 to Highway 11.More news: Trump insists he's engaged with health care bill
Police say the suspect then tried to hop a guardrail to try and evade officers.
Eventually the pursuit moved on to Highway 11, where a spike belt was deployed by the OPP near Memorial Avenue in Orillia. OPP Sgt. Peter Leon said there were a number of collisions, with significant property damage, but no serious injuries.
As cruisers pursued the suspect vehicle, Toronto police say the suspect fired shots outside of his auto window and bullets may have struck other vehicles driving along the roadway.More news: U.S. warplane blasts Syrian drone from sky
No police officers were wounded. A weapon allegedly discarded by the suspect was later located in a grassy area near the highway.
The woman was rushed to hospital via emergency run with serious injuries.
"It's never a good day when people are shooting at my officers", Toronto police chief Mark Saunders told reporters on Wednesday.More news: Trump accepts Macron invite to attend Bastille Day parade
Highway 11 is closed near Memorial Avenue in Orillia.
- Trump travel ban revival gets mixed reaction in NH
- Bernie Really, Really Doesn't Want to Talk About That FBI Investigation
- Stock's Buzzers - Frontier Communications Corp (NASDAQ:FTR), Xerox Corp (NYSE:XRX)
- Second major cyber attack in two months disrupts businesses around world
- Community meeting planned as Brian Head Fire continues to grow
- Qatar Airways wants to buy 10 percent stake in American Airlines
- Trump urges India to do more to ease trade barriers
- Euro surges to 15-month high against yen
- Vegas Golden Knights fill out roster with National Hockey League expansion draft
- Subway derails in Manhattan, causing injuries