The Toronto Police said the man had previously attacked a 60-year-old woman and opened fire on a woman in the north of the metropolis at about 6:30 am on Wednesday morning.
The man who is in custody allegedly shot a woman and assaulted a man before stealing a vehicle at Finch Avenue and Norfinch Drive before 7 a.m. on Wednesday. He also allegedly shot officers who intervened in connection with the shooting, before fleeing on August 400 with the vehicle of the victim.
Multiple police services pursued the suspect northbound on Highway 400 to Highway 11.More news: Trump travel ban revival gets mixed reaction in NH
Police say the suspect then tried to hop a guardrail to try and evade officers.
Eventually the pursuit moved on to Highway 11, where a spike belt was deployed by the OPP near Memorial Avenue in Orillia. OPP Sgt. Peter Leon said there were a number of collisions, with significant property damage, but no serious injuries.
As cruisers pursued the suspect vehicle, Toronto police say the suspect fired shots outside of his auto window and bullets may have struck other vehicles driving along the roadway.More news: Qatar Airways wants to buy 10 percent stake in American Airlines
No police officers were wounded. A weapon allegedly discarded by the suspect was later located in a grassy area near the highway.
The woman was rushed to hospital via emergency run with serious injuries.
"It's never a good day when people are shooting at my officers", Toronto police chief Mark Saunders told reporters on Wednesday.More news: Your smartphone is a 'brain drain' - even when it's off, study says
Highway 11 is closed near Memorial Avenue in Orillia.
- Stock's Buzzers - Frontier Communications Corp (NASDAQ:FTR), Xerox Corp (NYSE:XRX)
- Second major cyber attack in two months disrupts businesses around world
- U.S. warplane blasts Syrian drone from sky
- Chaffetz, leaving Congress this week, heading to Fox News
- Subway derails in Manhattan, causing injuries
- Trump's Warning To Syria On Chemical Weapons Worked, Jim Mattis Says
- Shining Celebs at BET Awards 2017
- Mueller meets with House leaders amid Trump-Russia probe
- London police raise Grenfell fire toll to 80
- Market Trend Highlights: Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE:WFC)