BJP's National Vice President Shyam Jaju told ANI that "today the Opposition seems a divided house as many opposition parties have extended support to Ram Nath Kovind". "BJP National President Amit Shah spoke to me and requested for our support". "JD-U has made a decision to support Kovind in the presidential election". Shiv Sena leader Uddhav Thackeray said he is not willing to support Kovind if making a Dalit the President is being done with the objective of "gaining a vote bank".
The Purtchi Thalaivi Amma faction's announcement comes a day after the AIADMK (Amma) camp led by Chief Minister K Palaniswami announced its support to Kovind.More news: Syrian Observatory: air strike kills 42 in Islamic State-held town
Kumar said on Tuesday that he has called a meeting of the party's leader to finalize on the choice of Kovind.
Shiv Sena and the People's Democratic Party, both NDA constituents, too, have pledged support to Kovind.
"There should be no talk about whether a Dalit should be there (be a President)... caste or religion". If sources are to be believed, DMK's M Kanimozhi has made a round of phone calls to senior leaders across parties, saying it will be hard for the DMK to oppose a Dalit. While it is the right-leaning Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) which chose Kovind, Narayanan, a diplomat-turned politician, became vice president in 1992 and the president in 1997 courtesy active support from the Left, which had proposed his name first.More news: Military post tweets it's on lockdown, possible shooter
Panneerselvan said his party is supporting Kovind, a Dalit, so that a member of the oppressed group gets an "opportunity" to be elected to the highest office in the country.
The Left parties, which were earlier garnering support for former West Bengal Governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi, are slated to meet on the morning of June 22.
Amid this, speculations are rife that the opposition is likely to nominate former LS speaker Meira Kumar and BR Ambedkar's grandson Prakash Ambedkar as their presidential candidate. The election will be held on July 17.More news: Japanese air bag maker Takata files for bankruptcy, gets China backing
- Will the Trump Rally Die in the Senate?
- New report confirms July 7 launch of Samsung Galaxy Note 7R (FE)
- China's navy puts latest-generation destroyer in the water
- Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna feeling 'weird,' mentally off
- South Korea urges North to end weapons development
- Trump confidant to appear before House committee
- Taylor Swift resurfaces to randomly congratulate NBA MVP Russell Westbrook
- Oilers sign forward Zack Kassian to 3-year extension
- Knicks President Parting Ways with Team
- McConnell on Trump Healthcare Meeting: 'We Made Good Progress'