It is home to Army missile defence programs and other military offices. He said initial 911 reports like this can often be confused and was in this case.
"What I really want to make clear when it comes to the safety of our work force, our systems worked", Holliday said.
The alert initially caused some confusion, according to local media, because an active shooter drill had been planned to take place tomorrow.More news: China's navy puts latest-generation destroyer in the water
He explained they coordinate with Huntsville police, the Redstone Arsenal's own police, the FBI and more federal authorities. "Honestly, if we have to overreact, I would rather overreact than underreact".
In the Twitter announcement of the possible shooter, Redstone Arsenal also told all those on campus to "Run hide fight".
"I believe we saw very clearly that the actions of our first-responders was spot-on", Holliday said. Authorities are asking people to avoid the area.
"You have to understand the size of that building", he told reporters hours after the lockdown had been lifted. Jay wrote in a message to The Associated Press.More news: AMD pushes new frontiers as first Vega graphics card goes on sale
Nasa's Marshall Space Flight Centre, which oversees rocket propulsion operations, is also located at Redstone.
Officials are allowing traffic onto and off the base, post spokesman Chris Colster said.
Alabama Governor Kay Ivey said in a tweet her office is being updated about the situation. Robert Aderholt and Mo Brooks were monitoring the situation and Ivy said she would "pray for a peaceful and quick resolution", Fox News reported.
Limestone County sheriff's spokesman Stephen Young said the reaction to the situation at Browns Ferry was likely "an abundance of caution-type thing based on what's going on elsewhere", referring to the arsenal.More news: Blonde school teacher 'romped with pupil in back of her car'
- United Kingdom house price growth bounces back in June - Nationwide
- Syrian Observatory: air strike kills 42 in Islamic State-held town
- Trump confidant to appear before House committee
- New report confirms July 7 launch of Samsung Galaxy Note 7R (FE)
- Rights group cites Supreme Court in Louisiana abortion suit
- DeVos weighs in on Supreme Court church decision
- Susan Collins: Trump hasn't learned how to work with Congress
- Sena announces support to Kovind
- Love Island contestants 'made to take STI tests to avoid spreading infections'
- Sanchez not distracted by transfer talk, says Chile coach Pizzi