It is home to Army missile defence programs and other military offices. He said initial 911 reports like this can often be confused and was in this case.
"What I really want to make clear when it comes to the safety of our work force, our systems worked", Holliday said.
The alert initially caused some confusion, according to local media, because an active shooter drill had been planned to take place tomorrow.More news: Susan Collins: Trump hasn't learned how to work with Congress
He explained they coordinate with Huntsville police, the Redstone Arsenal's own police, the FBI and more federal authorities. "Honestly, if we have to overreact, I would rather overreact than underreact".
In the Twitter announcement of the possible shooter, Redstone Arsenal also told all those on campus to "Run hide fight".
"I believe we saw very clearly that the actions of our first-responders was spot-on", Holliday said. Authorities are asking people to avoid the area.
"You have to understand the size of that building", he told reporters hours after the lockdown had been lifted. Jay wrote in a message to The Associated Press.More news: Euro rallies, weak dollar lifts oil
Nasa's Marshall Space Flight Centre, which oversees rocket propulsion operations, is also located at Redstone.
Officials are allowing traffic onto and off the base, post spokesman Chris Colster said.
Alabama Governor Kay Ivey said in a tweet her office is being updated about the situation. Robert Aderholt and Mo Brooks were monitoring the situation and Ivy said she would "pray for a peaceful and quick resolution", Fox News reported.
Limestone County sheriff's spokesman Stephen Young said the reaction to the situation at Browns Ferry was likely "an abundance of caution-type thing based on what's going on elsewhere", referring to the arsenal.More news: Trump confidant to appear before House committee
- Japanese air bag maker Takata files for bankruptcy, gets China backing
- Polling Shows Nancy Pelosi 'Toxic' in Districts Democrats Hoping to Flip
- Blonde school teacher 'romped with pupil in back of her car'
- Will the Trump Rally Die in the Senate?
- Syrian Observatory: air strike kills 42 in Islamic State-held town
- Montana man is bank robber dubbed 'AK-47 bandit'
- AMD pushes new frontiers as first Vega graphics card goes on sale
- New report confirms July 7 launch of Samsung Galaxy Note 7R (FE)
- Grenfell Tower fire: May calls for investigation on cladding
- Sena announces support to Kovind