Montana has over 27-million acres of land that is federally owned, so sharp cuts could create a number of problems for counties.
"As a kid who grew up in northwest Montana and whose sons graduated from the same high school as I did, I know how important PILT payments are to local communities that have federal lands", Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, who was Montana's congressman before President Donald Trump appointed him to his current job, said in a statement.
Siskiyou County, California will benefit from a payment of $1,246417.More news: Four-way tie at US Open as big guns crash out
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) announced Monday that the Department of the Interior is distributing more than $29.69 million to eligible local governments throughout Alaska.
"The PILT program is critical for communities across Colorado that rely on these funds for services like road maintenance and law enforcement", Bennet said in the release.
PILT funding provides local governments with funding they can't get from tax-exempt federal lands within their boundaries.More news: Social media giant Facebook crosses 2 billion monthly users
$37 million in so-called PILT payments for the 2017 fiscal year in the state.
The payments are part of a record $464.6 million dollars distributed across the country, this year; it's the largest amount allocated in the PILT program's 40-year history.
The lands managed by the National Forest Service, National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, as well as most lands managed by the Fish and Wildlife Service, and water resource projects, which are managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Bureau of Reclamation, are included in the calculation for the payment. Funding for the payments comes from the almost $9 billion in annual revenue the Department of Interior collects from commercial activities on federal lands, including energy development, livestock grazing and timber harvests. A portion of these revenues is shared with states and counties.More news: Not for separate Gorkhaland state, BJP clarifies
Here's the list of Montana Counties receiving PILT funding this year.
- Beltre's 9th-inning homer lifts Rangers past Indians 2-1
- White Rock's Jason Garrison selected by Vegas in National Hockey League expansion draft
- Another Cyber Attack Sweeps Globe, Researchers see WannaCry Link
- Pentagon backs White House statement of possible chemical prep in Syria
- Chinese Nobel rights activist Liu Xiaobo's cancer beyond surgery
- Ransomware Spreading Beyond Ukraine, Expert Claims
- Microsoft bringing EMET back as a built-in part of Windows 10
- Lauda: Vettel freaked out
- Harden pushing for Houston's acquisition of Chris Paul from Clippers
- New Zealand law student launches climate change court case