Prime Minister Narendra Modi and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar, among others, lavished praise on Kidami Srikanth for claiming the Australian Open title with a stunning win over reigning Olympic and world champion Chen Long. In the summit clash, 11th world ranked Srikanth stunned former world number one and Rio Olympics Gold medalist Chen Long of China in straight games, 22-20, 21-16.
Continuing his fine run, recently-crowned Indonesia Open champion Srikanth defeated fellow Indian shuttler B. Sai Praneeth in the men's singles quarter-finals. I went there to play and enjoy myself. "I just want to play well, because I missed six-seven tournaments previous year, I just want to play as many games as possible".
Okuhara won her first Superseries title since the All England a year ago, displaying her indefatigable retrieving style in getting the better of Yamaguchi.More news: Bernie Really, Really Doesn't Want to Talk About That FBI Investigation
Srikanth is good in these aspects.
'We are really proud of the victory of @srikidambi in the Australian Open. To know more, visit Nostragamus.inKidambi Srikanth or Chen Long? This followed his triumph in the Indonesia Open last Sunday. "I have no thoughts about the final, no thoughts about winning or losing".
It's not these statistics however, but results that matter to the 24-year-old. Shi grabbed three straight points but another rally ended with his shuttle going long as Srikanth moved to 16-11. Chen then hit a service error to give Srikanth his first match point opportunity and he converted it soon after as Chen hit a return long to win the match and his second Superseries final in two weeks. Srikanth continued to remain aggressive but trailed for the first time in the second game after a successful challenge from Chen.More news: Community meeting planned as Brian Head Fire continues to grow
Sarma was delighted at Srikanth's feat and congratulated him after his unbelievable win.
The second game too saw similar start to it as Srikanth was leading by two points at the interval.
It was Prakash Padukone and P Gopichand who were the legends of the men in India for the badminton, but now Srikanth has ensured that many more kids will take the racket to follow their passion for badminton.More news: Goodwin Fire Near Mayer Burns More Than 4000 Acres
- Chaffetz, leaving Congress this week, heading to Fox News
- NATO chief: US allies to spend $12 billion more this year
- Trump accepts Macron invite to attend Bastille Day parade
- CNN's Overzealous Trump Coverage Is Making Everyone's Job Harder
- Shooting suspect arrested after police chase on Hwy. 400
- Burn Victim Who Inspired "Judy's Law" Dies At 33
- Qatar Airways wants to buy 10 percent stake in American Airlines
- Vegas Golden Knights fill out roster with National Hockey League expansion draft
- HomeServe PLC (HSV.L) Shares Moving On Volume
- Namibia suspends imports and movement of live poultry