"It's a healthcare bill with no healthcare", said Fern Whyland, communications director at Planned Parenthood Empire State Acts. The vote was eventually postponed because some Republican Senators remain unconvinced by the bill, putting in question its passage. Similar "Handmaid's Tale"-inspired protests have taken place from Texasto Ohio, with participants claiming that the bill would severely restrict women's reproductive rights".
"There already is a ban on the use of federal funds for abortions", Collins said after the initial legislation was unveiled. The red-clad silent protesters were at also at the statehouse on June 13, during the bill's reading.More news: China frees 3 activists who probed Ivanka Trump supplier
Similar protests have been staged in other major cities around the USA where activists have also worn the uniform.
Similar protests have been staged at Ohio, Texas and NY state capitols.
And the pop culture reference of their outfits couldn't be more apt, as The Handmaid's Tale is about a society ruled by a fundamentalist regime that treats women as property of the state, stripping them of all rights. The book The Handmaid's Tale has been brought back into the spotlight as a television adaptation created by Hulu was premiered this year.More news: Theresa May attacked over moves to limit European Union citizens' rights after Brexit
"The Republic of Gilead is built on a foundation of the 17th-century Puritan roots that have always lain beneath the modern-day America we thought we knew", Atwood wrote in an article for The New York Times describing the novel's relevance in the age of President Donald Trump. The abortion giant claims that women will lose essential healthcare if they are defunded, despite Republican claims that funds would be re-allocated to community health centers which would provide care instead. "Make Margaret Atwood fiction again" one sign read.
It's unlikely that Tuesday's protest will be the last of its kind.More news: Bill Cosby trial Day 9: Jury reports it is deadlocked
- Aadhaar, PAN Linking Mandatory From July 1
- USA Gymnastics needs 'culture change' to stop abuse
- Mattis says Syria's government taking US threat seriously
- India's Kidambi Srikanth clinches Australian Open title
- Dashcam Video of the Philando Castile Shooting Just Released
- Watch the trailer for The Foreigner starring Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan
- Knicks, Phil Jackson Part Ways After Dismal 3-Year Run
- It seems like the Suns were behind Josh Jackson skipping Celtics workout
- 76ers Among 7 Teams Interested In Andre Iguodala
- CNN journalists resign over retracted story