One suspect held the men at gunpoint, while the other took money out of the safe.
Madison's police chief says a contractor working overnight at a Culver's restaurant was "scared to death" and died when two armed men tried to rob the restaurant.
"An emergency of such a nature that people should ... have been able to call and do some basic self-help mechanisms when it became clear that this person was in significant distress", Madison Police Chief Mike Koval said.More news: Economy Watch: Fed Sure of Economy, Raises Rates, Promises Asset Sell-Off
"You have an instance where the victim was literally scared to death", Chief Mike Koval of the Madison police said.
Authorities say the workers aren't from Dane County.
Kneubuehl and the three other men were working on a flooring project when the two robbers entered the store from a back door at about 3 a.m.More news: PM challenged to end austerity by backing police and fire services
A 56-year-old worker has died after suffering a "medical emergency" while being held a gunpoint during an armed robbery.
The 56-year-old's official cause of death will come from the coroner, Koval says.
MADISON (WKOW) - Madison Police said one man was killed during an incident at Culver's at 2102 W. Beltline Highway on Tuesday morning.More news: 'Obamacare' repeal at risk after Senate shelves vote
"The first suspect is described as a black man in his 20's around 6'3" tall. Koval said they are casting a wide net in their search, including a review of camera footage from multiple businesses in the area. The restaurant will re-open when authorities have concluded their investigation.
- Trump hails 'energy revolution' as exports surge
- Mongolians vote for president amid graft, financial concerns
- China frees 3 activists who probed Ivanka Trump supplier
- GOP 'Obamacare' repeal teeters after Senate shelves vote
- Cubs, Commissioner's Trophy visit President Trump at White House
- Watch the trailer for The Foreigner starring Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan
- Theresa May attacked over moves to limit European Union citizens' rights after Brexit
- Trump comes close to finding his red line in Syria
- Trump, Modi call on Pakistan to stem 'terrorist' attacks
- Redstone Arsenal Lockdown Lifted After 'Possible Active Shooter' Alert