One suspect held the men at gunpoint, while the other took money out of the safe.
Madison's police chief says a contractor working overnight at a Culver's restaurant was "scared to death" and died when two armed men tried to rob the restaurant.
"An emergency of such a nature that people should ... have been able to call and do some basic self-help mechanisms when it became clear that this person was in significant distress", Madison Police Chief Mike Koval said.More news: 'Ransomware' wave seemed aimed at old flaw and Ukraine
"You have an instance where the victim was literally scared to death", Chief Mike Koval of the Madison police said.
Authorities say the workers aren't from Dane County.
Kneubuehl and the three other men were working on a flooring project when the two robbers entered the store from a back door at about 3 a.m.More news: GOP infighting stalls budget plan
A 56-year-old worker has died after suffering a "medical emergency" while being held a gunpoint during an armed robbery.
The 56-year-old's official cause of death will come from the coroner, Koval says.
MADISON (WKOW) - Madison Police said one man was killed during an incident at Culver's at 2102 W. Beltline Highway on Tuesday morning.More news: Clippers agree to trade All-Star Chris Paul to Rockets, AP source says
"The first suspect is described as a black man in his 20's around 6'3" tall. Koval said they are casting a wide net in their search, including a review of camera footage from multiple businesses in the area. The restaurant will re-open when authorities have concluded their investigation.
- PM challenged to end austerity by backing police and fire services
- A man helped a lost toddler find her parents, police say
- Trump, Modi call on Pakistan to stem 'terrorist' attacks
- China frees 3 activists who probed Ivanka Trump supplier
- 'Obamacare' repeal at risk after Senate shelves vote
- Handmaids Descend on the Capitol to Protest Senate Republicans' Health Care Bill
- Redstone Arsenal Lockdown Lifted After 'Possible Active Shooter' Alert
- Utah wildfire: Country's largest active fire grows in size
- Trump hails 'energy revolution' as exports surge
- Census Data Reveals How Multicultural Australia Really Is