It was a dramatic turn of events in a trial entering its ninth day, including four days of deliberations. A Pennsylvania jury was set to deliberate a fourth day Thursday, still deadlocked on whether to convict disgraced megastar Bill Cosby of committing sexual assault more than 13 years ago. On Thursday, the 12-person jury announced that it was unable to reach a unanimous decision after nearly 30 hours of deliberation but were sent back to the negotiating table by the judge.
Cosby is accused of drugging and assaulting Constand, who was then the director of operations for Temple University's women's basketball team.
If Cosby is convicted, even on one count, prosecutors will probably petition for his $1 million bail to be overturned so that he be taken into custody immediately.
The jurors were stonefaced as they entered the courtroom for the reading of their note.More news: HomeServe PLC (HSV.L) Shares Moving On Volume
Since beginning deliberations at 5 p.m. on Monday, the jury has asked to either review or have read to them, several pieces of testimony including a police report detailing the kinds of pills Cosby is alleged to have given Constand, a chunk from Constand's almost eight hours of testimony, the report from the Durham Police in Canada, and the interview that Cosby did with Cheltenham Police. All the defense has to do is create a reasonable doubt in the jury's mind that Cosby is maybe not a serial rapist. There was a smile on his face.
There's also no rule on how many times the judge can send them back to deliberate again, so he may keep pushing them.
Jurors in the Bill Cosby sexual assault case, weighing charges that could send him to prison for the rest of his life, drilled down Tuesday on what the TV star said happened inside his suburban Philadelphia home and how he characterized his relationship with the accuser. His spokesperson hopes that the jurors are being treated properly and nobody will attempt to change their ideas or beliefs about this case. "The jury foreman has informed me that you are deadlocked", O'Neill said.More news: Cosby venue could move to California in sex abuse lawsuit
Constand claimed that Cosby drugged her and proceeded to molest her, but Cosby claims that their relationship was consensual and the Benadryl he gave her was just supposed to be used to help her relax.
When Constand told Jackson that something related had happened to her, Jackson claimed that she meant to file a lawsuit and get money for school rather than file criminal charges, according to Jackson's statement.
By Wednesday night, jurors asked the judge several questions seeking clarification and re-reading of excerpts of Cosby's own words about his 2004 encounter with accuser Andrea Constand at his nearby home. Prosecutors tried to paint the calls as business-related, because Cosby was a Temple trustee and Constand was an employee.
- Not guilty on all counts. It is likely Cosby would remain free on bail until that decision is made or the case is dropped.More news: Premier League Fixtures 2017/18 - when are the biggest games?
- Subway derails in Manhattan, causing injuries
- It seems like the Suns were behind Josh Jackson skipping Celtics workout
- Euro surges to 15-month high against yen
- Taekwondo Team Opens Door to Inter-Korean Cooperation
- Utah wildfire grows to largest active fire in US
- CNN's Overzealous Trump Coverage Is Making Everyone's Job Harder
- Goodwin Fire Near Mayer Burns More Than 4000 Acres
- Jason Statham and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley welcome a son
- Community meeting planned as Brian Head Fire continues to grow
- Aadhaar, PAN Linking Mandatory From July 1