The combined opposition has named former Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar as its candidate for the presidential poll but NDA nominee Ram Nath Kovind's victory is a foregone conclusion, with 63.1% of the electoral college votes already in the bag.
BJP State President Kummanom Rajasekharan and NDA State Chairman Thushar Vellappally in a joint statement said the coming president election was very significant to the country and "all should unite and cooperate for his (Kovind's) win forgetting political differences".
Kovind resigned from the post of Bihar Governor after he was selected by the Modi Government as its candidate for the country's top post. For presidential elections, votes are marked in a preferential order which is then counted to declare the victor. She served as an IFS officer throughout her career before plunging into politics as MP from the Congress Party in 1985 and becoming the Lok Sabha speaker during the UPA regime in 2009 to 2014.More news: Oil Market Gauges Shake-Up In Saudi Royal Succession
Panneerselvam said following a request from BJP National President Amit Shah, the AIADMK PTA has chose to support Kovind for the President's post. He is non-controversial, educated and experienced and has been good as Bihar Governor.
"I don't think there could have been a better candidate for this post", he said, calling her a "crusader for social justice". It is their democratic right to contest.
He further said that by fielding Kovind as their Presidential candidate, the BJP has proved that it is committed to give respect to all the section of the society.
Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar has broken ranks with the Opposition, pledging support to Mr Kovind. But the opposition will need more than just the JD (U) votes to install Meira Kumar in Rashtrapati Bhavan.More news: Trump coaxing Senate health bill holdouts to get in line
The decision to support Kovind was taken as per the directions of Party General Secretary V.K. Sasikala, who was at present lodged in Bengaluru prison following her conviction in the DA case.
On Thursday, the Congress-led opposition declared former Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan as its presidential candidate.More news: Travis Hamonic traded to Calgary for draft picks
- Coal company sues HBO's John Oliver for defamation
- Teen Girl Falls Off Ride At Six Flags, Somehow Is Barely Injured
- DC and Maryland AGs Sue Trump For Violating the Constitution
- Insurance Companies Concerned About The Future Of Medicaid Under GOP Plan
- Residents remaining in evacuated tower blocks 'must leave', says council
- In health bill, two prized GOP goals are within reach
- Grenfell Tower fire caused by faulty fridge, reveals probe
- CWS FINALS: Things to know as LSU, Florida play for title
- Cousin: Sailor killed in crash near Japan was to retire soon
- Russian Federation crash out of Confederations Cup in group stage