The discussion comes at a time when the government is weak following Prime Minister Theresa May's disastrous decision to hold a snap election in which she lost her majority.
Controversial plans to expand grammar schools and introduce a free vote on restoring foxhunting to the Commons were decidedly absent from the speech, with the majority of bills announced relating to ensuring the "smooth and orderly" departure from the European Union. Buckingham Palace said Philip, 96, was hospitalized as a precaution for treatment of an infection.
Downing Street said the Queens Speech did not make a reference to the visit announced earlier this year as no date has been set for it so far.More news: Chinese dog meat festival goes ahead in Yulin
Parliament then votes on the agendas laid out in the speech.
"There will be an immigration bill that gives us control of the number of people coming here from Europe while allowing us to continue attracting the brightest and the best", Prime Minister May said in her preface to the Queens Speech. Declining her traditional horse-drawn carriage, keeping the imperial crown beside her rather than atop her head, and swapping the royal robes for a blue dress, the queen pointedly toned down the pomp this year.More news: Stock in the Limelight: The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS)
Fox hunting with hounds was outlawed by Tony Blair's Labour government in 2004 but successive Conservative manifestos have pledged to bring the animal killings back.
There was no mention of US President Donald Trumps proposed state visit to the United Kingdom later this year, appearing to confirm suggestions the visit has been delayed. Even amid the gravity, frustration and uncertainty surrounding this year's speech, Skinner bore the great weight of his informal duty gladly, quipping about the queen's plans to catch a horse race later that day.
Democratic Unionist Party to prop up her government. "The formality is you can not put the date of the president's state visit into the Queen's speech until it has been actually agreed".More news: Mike Sullivan says Matt Murray will start for Penguins
The Lib Dems said their version would call for continued membership of the EU single market and customs union after Brexit.
- Republican Karen Handel wins Georgia special election
- Brazilian Soccer Star Ronaldo Accused of Tax Evasion
- In Georgia, Handel reaches out to Democrats and thanks Trump
- Cuomo, Trump lawyer clash over Russian Federation probe
- FBI Won't Release Comey Memos, So The 'Times,' 'CNN,' And Others Sue
- Iran's top leader opposes Iraqi Kurdish independence vote
- Chevron Corporation (CVX) Upgraded by Vetr Inc. to "Strong-Buy"
- French defence minister resigns amid fake jobs probe
- Officers in Seattle fatal shooting had crisis training
- Taylor Swift Celebrates Sales Landmarks by Offering Catalog for Streaming