The Chicago Cubs are sending struggling outfielder Kyle Schwarber to Triple-A Iowa as the team embarks on an 11 game road trip mired in second place in the Central Division, according to a source familiar with the situation.? CSN Chicago first reported the news.
He now owns a slash line of.171/.295/.378 with 12 home runs and 28 RBI over 261 plate appearances.More news: Amazon (AMZN) Just Created a Huge Risk By Acquiring Whole Foods
Schwarber's stint in the minors is not expected to be a long one, but sometimes a young player needs to escape the spotlight of the big leagues and rediscover what they do well on the farm to turn things around. Schwarber also costs the Cubs runs in left field with his mediocre defense. That experiment lasted 36 games before he was dropped in the order and played against only certain right-handed pitchers.
The 2017 season started with such promise for Kyle Schwarber. Given that he has very little if any defensive value, he has been a significant drag on the Cubs, who are just a single game over.500.More news: Tropical Storm Cindy: 10 things Louisiana residents should know
Schwarber, who helped the Cubs to their first World Series title since 1908 a year ago, is hitting.171 this season with 12 home runs and 28 RBIs.
They will begin a four-game series with the Miami Marlins starting on Thursday night.More news: Britain's Prince Philip released from hospital after treated for infection
- Ghanaians, Indians Celebrate Yoga Day
- Russians 'used fake news and propaganda in cyber attacks targeting US elections'
- GOP senators voice concerns on eve of health care bill unveiling
- Who's No. 3? NBA draft intrigue begins after Fultz, Ball
- Devon Love Island contestant Jessica is voted off the show
- Ryanair buys further 10 aircraft from Boeing
- Trump blasts Qatar for funding terrorism
- Are US and Russian Federation inching toward confrontation in Syria?
- Father of slain US Muslim teen urges love
- Australian Air Force to resume Syria strikes