The Chicago Cubs are sending struggling outfielder Kyle Schwarber to Triple-A Iowa as the team embarks on an 11 game road trip mired in second place in the Central Division, according to a source familiar with the situation.? CSN Chicago first reported the news.
He now owns a slash line of.171/.295/.378 with 12 home runs and 28 RBI over 261 plate appearances.More news: Funeral to be held for US student imprisoned by N. Korea
Schwarber's stint in the minors is not expected to be a long one, but sometimes a young player needs to escape the spotlight of the big leagues and rediscover what they do well on the farm to turn things around. Schwarber also costs the Cubs runs in left field with his mediocre defense. That experiment lasted 36 games before he was dropped in the order and played against only certain right-handed pitchers.
The 2017 season started with such promise for Kyle Schwarber. Given that he has very little if any defensive value, he has been a significant drag on the Cubs, who are just a single game over.500.More news: Flint airport officials hold press conference after terror attack
Schwarber, who helped the Cubs to their first World Series title since 1908 a year ago, is hitting.171 this season with 12 home runs and 28 RBIs.
They will begin a four-game series with the Miami Marlins starting on Thursday night.More news: Ryanair buys further 10 aircraft from Boeing
- Trump blasts Qatar for funding terrorism
- Devon Love Island contestant Jessica is voted off the show
- Canadian sniper 'kills IS militant two miles away'
- Amazon (AMZN) Just Created a Huge Risk By Acquiring Whole Foods
- Tropical Storm Cindy: 10 things Louisiana residents should know
- Barrasso: Republicans 'putting final touches' on health care bill
- Cavaliers join teams in on Jimmy Butler
- Russians 'used fake news and propaganda in cyber attacks targeting US elections'
- Celtics, 76ers complete swap of first, 3rd draft picks
- Who's No. 3? NBA draft intrigue begins after Fultz, Ball