All eyes will be on that crucial opposition meeting which will be chaired by Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Thursday.
A JD-U leader told a news agency that Bihar CM and JD-U chief Nitish Kumar had told them the party would be supporting Kovind's candidature.
We have chose to support RamNath Kovind, said Ratnesh Sada, JDU MLA after JDU meeting in Bihar's Patna. It remains to be seen whether BSP, which has also said that it can not oppose a Dalit candidate unless the opposition has a more popular Dalit nominee, attends the opposition meeting.More news: MSCI adds China A-shares to EM index
Meanwhile, Kovind resigned as Bihar Governor.
Based on the deliberations, it was made a decision to unanimously extend support to Kovind, the release said. "After our support, I do not think it will be hard for the BJP to get him elected", Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray said. We can not propose a name because then other Opposition parties will feel we are imposing ourselves. We only want to say that we had expected that before they take the final decision on the candidate, they will come back to us and other political parties to build a consensus first. But you have the Left still insisting that the opposition should unite against the government and field its own candidate because it's a battle of ideologies. "But, JD (U) and its national president Nitish Kumar will continue to make his efforts for the opposition's unity".More news: Family of teen who died from brain-eating amoeba sues water park
The President's election is to be held on 17 July.
Coming out of the party's core committee meeting chaired by Nitish Kumar, Sada said most of the MLAs have assured the Chief Minister of their support.
In a virtual U-turn, Shiv Sena, a key constituent of the BJP-led coalition, today extended its support for the NDA's presidential choice Ram Nath Kovind, saying he is a "simple and decent human being".More news: Men in shorts, unite - KBZK.com | Continuous News | Bozeman, Montana
- Russian Federation vs Portugal 2017
- Officials release footage of Philando Castile shooting after officer is acquitted
- Modi thanks those who participated in Yoga Day worldover
- Shocking video of police shooting wasn't enough to convict
- Queen's Speech: Pomp, ritual in delivering United Kingdom gov't program
- Paul George prefers to sign with Lakers as free agent in 2018
- Wall Street closes lower as oil drops
- Stock in the Limelight: The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS)
- Michael Bay Still Coy About Transformers' Future
- French defence minister resigns amid fake jobs probe