The Holcomb Fire near Big Bear Lake is burning toward the desert but does not threaten the Morongo Basin at this time.
The blaze, which is being called the Holcomb Fire, began about 3 p.m. Monday off Holcomb Valley Road during an ongoing heat wave. Several forest roads including Van Duesen Canyon and Holcomb Valley Road East are closed, as well as a section of the popular Pacific Crest Trail between Highway 18 and Van Duesen Canyon Road.
Rolling power outages caused by the Holcomb fire closed the doors to many businesses, including gas stations.More news: Midnight event at Parliament to mark GST rollout
Temperatures reached 89 degrees in the mountainous area Monday, the hottest day of the year so far there.
Firefighters are battling a wildfire that's spreading rapidly deep in the San Bernardino National Forest north of Big Bear Lake.
A small area north of Baldwin Lake road was briefly evacuated this afternoon when fire activity increased, pushing the fire closer to homes north of Highway 18, however no residences or structures were damaged during this period of increased fire activity. "But the fire did remain active", said U.S. Forest Service Battalion Chief Chon Bribiescas.More news: Trump tweetstorms wash away White House press briefings
- Highway 18 between Delta Avenue, north to the Mitsubishi Plant Road. The South Coast Air Quality Management issued a smoke advisory, instructing residents to maintain caution. The helicopters are impacted even more than the air tankers. The humidity in the area was low at 10 percent, according to fire officials.
The Pacific Crest Trail is closed between Highway 18 and Van Dusen, and the Doble Trail Campground and Tanglewood Group Campground are closed.
An information line has been set up for the fire at 909-383-5688.More news: Turkish troops arrive in Qatar amid Gulf tensions
- Kings Reportedly Reject Deal for No. 2 Pick in NBA Draft
- House Minority Whip supports proposed travel ban to North Korea
- State Department presses North Korea to release detained Americans
- Pretty Little Liars Recap: Charlotte's Killer Is (Finally) Revealed
- Cavs, GM Griffin part after title, 3 straight NBA Finals
- Penguins cap amazing year with 2nd straight Stanley Cup
- Back to back champs: Penguins beat Predators 2-0 for Stanley Cup
- Volvo will challenge Tesla, BMW i with stand-alone Polestar brand
- Israeli PM says work begun on new West Bank settlement
- Trump's son-in-law may get new legal counsel