Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said the inmate died a short distance from the courthouse.
Manchester Mayor Lonnie Norman said the shooting occurred Monday afternoon and did not involve any city employees. Bassett was sent to Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Lucky Knott, a spokesman for the Coffee County Sheriff's Office, told the Associated Press an inmate who was in the courthouse for a scheduled hearing grabbed a deputy's gun and fired.More news: Puerto Rico's Vote for Statehood Means Nothing
Bell shot himself in the head about two blocks away from the courthouse as officers were in pursuit, Northcott said.
The county courthouse is located in Manchester, about 65 miles (105 kilometers) southeast of Nashville. Bassett was the only officer on the floor as he proceeded to take Bell back to jail.
Kimbrell also said her family had heard Deputy Bassett could have surgery on his injured hand on Tuesday.More news: Auto bombing on govt building in Somali capital kills at least 10
District Attorney Craig Northcott said there was a "significant struggle" during that transfer. Bell shot the deputy and fled, shooting Bowen on his way out of the building, Northcott said. Stewart, who lives on Madison Street near the courthouse, said the person ran through his yard.
TBI tweeted that their preliminary investigation indicated that the shooter was dead.
Bell was in court on charges of kidnapping, evading arrest, possession of a controlled substance, domestic assault and multiple counts of reckless endangerment with a motor vehicle, according to court dockets. Additional details of the charges were not immediately known.More news: Grenfell Tower families to receive minimum of £5500 from No 10
A spokeswoman for Erlanger Health System in Chattanooga confirmed late Monday the hospital received one patient from the Coffee County shooting.
- Arsenal and Liverpool Blow As Striker Target Picks Only Club To Join
- Man Utd have concerns about Cristiano Ronaldo bid
- Carrie Fisher autopsy reveals cocaine, ecstasy
- Judge Finds Defendant Guilty; Manslaughter Law Extending to New Grounds?
- Beavers' streak at 23; Harrison slam fuels 13-1 win over LSU
- ZTE Nubia M2 Play Announced with a wide-angle selfie camera
- 8 things to know about Monday's severe storms and flash flooding
- Still in Critical Condition After London Fire
- Technology CEOs urged to join Trump initiative
- UCLA School of Law's Supreme Court clinic wins landmark trademark case