Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said the inmate died a short distance from the courthouse.
Manchester Mayor Lonnie Norman said the shooting occurred Monday afternoon and did not involve any city employees. Bassett was sent to Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Lucky Knott, a spokesman for the Coffee County Sheriff's Office, told the Associated Press an inmate who was in the courthouse for a scheduled hearing grabbed a deputy's gun and fired.More news: ZTE Nubia M2 Play Announced with a wide-angle selfie camera
Bell shot himself in the head about two blocks away from the courthouse as officers were in pursuit, Northcott said.
The county courthouse is located in Manchester, about 65 miles (105 kilometers) southeast of Nashville. Bassett was the only officer on the floor as he proceeded to take Bell back to jail.
Kimbrell also said her family had heard Deputy Bassett could have surgery on his injured hand on Tuesday.More news: Eurozone agrees Greek bailout payment, International Monetary Fund comes on board
District Attorney Craig Northcott said there was a "significant struggle" during that transfer. Bell shot the deputy and fled, shooting Bowen on his way out of the building, Northcott said. Stewart, who lives on Madison Street near the courthouse, said the person ran through his yard.
TBI tweeted that their preliminary investigation indicated that the shooter was dead.
Bell was in court on charges of kidnapping, evading arrest, possession of a controlled substance, domestic assault and multiple counts of reckless endangerment with a motor vehicle, according to court dockets. Additional details of the charges were not immediately known.More news: Puerto Rico's Vote for Statehood Means Nothing
A spokeswoman for Erlanger Health System in Chattanooga confirmed late Monday the hospital received one patient from the Coffee County shooting.
- Seattle Police Kill Pregnant Woman Who Called 911 For Help
- UCLA School of Law's Supreme Court clinic wins landmark trademark case
- Technology CEOs urged to join Trump initiative
- Auto bombing on govt building in Somali capital kills at least 10
- Grenfell Tower families to receive minimum of £5500 from No 10
- New Analyst Ratings For EMIS Group (LON:EMIS)
- Severe weather expected to affect 60 million Americans Monday
- 8 things to know about Monday's severe storms and flash flooding
- Spanish state prosecutor accuses Jose Mourinho of tax fraud
- Google leverages search engine expertise to launch robust employment engine