Ronaldo, the reigning Ballon d'Or award victor, indicated he feels he is being treated unfairly by Spain's tax authorities, whose "persecution" has made him determined to leave Real Madrid and the country, a source confirmed to ESPN FC.
Perez, who began his second spell in 2009 and has overseen three Champions League wins in the last four years, has barely had to contend with any rivals for his post since the Liga club changed internal rules for presidential candidates in 2012.
But Perez was adamant that Real Madrid were not prepared to allow Ronaldo to move on.More news: Pakistan crush India by 180 runs to lift Champions Trophy
Things could have been different as Arsenal wanted to bring him to England, with with Arsene Wenger having also confirmed interest on several occasions.
Cristiano Ronaldo has told his agent to secure a move back to Old Trafford as Manchester United prepare a stunning £175m deal to re-sign the Real Madrid attacker this summer, according to reports today.
"Manchester United will save the big salary of [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic, they are back in the Champions League and receive the financial benefits of that".More news: Amber alert marks longest heatwave in June
"We have to sort it out, see what happens with the club too, because I'm under contract with a club".
But neither the Real star, on global duty with Portugal at the Confederations Cup in Russian Federation, nor the club itself have confirmed reports that he is heading for the exit at the Santiago Bernabeu.More news: Puerto Rico's Vote for Statehood Means Nothing
"We understand he has acted in accordance with the legality regarding the fulfilment of his fiscal obligations", Real said in a statement.
- Durant to opt out and re-sign with Warriors
- Auto bombing on govt building in Somali capital kills at least 10
- German lobby calls for fast Brexit deal on trade
- 8 things to know about Monday's severe storms and flash flooding
- Two deputies injured in shooting at Coffee County Courthouse
- Georgia race finally heads to voters; DC watching closely
- Seattle Police Kill Pregnant Woman Who Called 911 For Help
- Beavers' streak at 23; Harrison slam fuels 13-1 win over LSU
- Man Utd have concerns about Cristiano Ronaldo bid
- Technology CEOs urged to join Trump initiative