Tuesday, 25 September 2018
Latest news
Main » One dead, 10 injured in London mosque incident

One dead, 10 injured in London mosque incident

20 June 2017

Earlier in the day, the Metropolitan Police said they were called due to reports of a van collision involving pedestrians near a mosque in Seven Sisters Road, located near the Finsbury Park station.

The Finsbury Park mosque was associated with extremist ideology for several years after the 9/11 attacks in the United States, but was shut down and reorganized.

On March 22, a man killed five people when he drove a vehicle into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in London and stabbed a police officer. "'I want to kill Muslims". "What's happened here is very bad, but it's ironic just a few hours before they had been gathering with members of the Christian and Jewish community in support of the Jo Cox Foundation". "It was an attack that once again target the ordinary and the innocent going about their daily lives: this time British Muslims as they left a mosque having broken their fast and prayed together at this sacred time of year".

Counter-terrorism police have joined regular police officers looking into the incident, the Guardian newspaper reported.

The suspect was overpowered by members of the public before he was arrested.

Police have not named the man arrested, but the van bears the logo and phone number for Pontyclun Van Hire in south Wales.

More news: Lion Air provisionally orders 50 Boeing 737 MAX 10

Eyewitness Abdul Rahman said the driver said he wanted to "kill all Muslims".

"She said security at mosques and other places of worship in the lead up to Eid Al-Fitr to reassure the community".

Temporary Assistant Chief Constable Nick Bailey, of Cheshire Constabulary, said: "It is with sadness that another awful attack has taken place in London".

"I would like to ... thank our Imam, Mohammed Mahmoud, whose bravery and courage helped calm the immediate situation after the incident and prevented further injuries and potential loss of life", said Toufik Kacimi, the chief executive of the Muslim Welfare House.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan, meanwhile, paid tribute to the local community who apprehended the attacker near the mosque, especially the religious leader who kept him safe from mob violence.

"At this stage in the investigation, it is believed that the suspect acted alone, but we are of course investigating all the circumstances leading up to the attack", the statement said.

More news: Grenfell Tower death toll reaches 30

The driver of the van, a 47-year-old man, was arrested at the scene after being detained by several members of the public.

A total of 79 people are either dead or missing and presumed dead after the fire in Grenfell Tower, according to police, with others still critically injured in hospital. "All my thoughts are with the victims, their families and the emergency services on the scene".

But he said there was no need for the community to be frightened because police and government officials have been "very, very supportive". It has not been associated with radical views for more than a decade.

The incident occurred during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, when people attend prayers at night.

Owners of the company today hit out at the "cowardly" attack using one of their vehicles hired more than 160 miles away. Three Muslim extremists who carried out the attack were killed by police.

The assault comes on the heels of another attack at London Bridge, in which three men rammed a van into pedestrians and went on a stabbing spree at nearby bars and restaurants, killing eight people.

More news: Tiger Woods receiving professional help to manage meds

One dead, 10 injured in London mosque incident