The result handed the early initiative in Group A to hosts Russian Federation, who beat New Zealand 2-0 a day earlier.
"We want to look at it with tranquillity as we don't know if this point will be good or not until we play the remaining two group stage matches and we know if we qualify for the semi-finals".More news: Two deputies injured in shooting at Coffee County Courthouse
Federation Internationale de Football Association president Gianni Infantino was something of a surprise visitor behind the scenes at Kazan Arena on Sunday.
- Mexico's top goal scorer Javier Hernandez scored his side's opening goal of this year's Confederations Cup and is now just two goals away from his 50th in global football; four of Mexico's last five goals at the Confederations Cup have been scored by Hernandez. It was a litmus test for how far the team has come and whether the same weaknesses La Roja exposed would surface again against Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal.
Australia and World Cup winners Germany will meet tomorrow in their first Group B match.More news: Beavers' streak at 23; Harrison slam fuels 13-1 win over LSU
"If this is going to happen several times during a game, well it's not very pleasant for the players", Cameroon coach Hugo Broos said.
Argentine referee Nestor Pitana disallowed a goal by Portugal's Pepe in the 21st minute of the first half after consulting the video assistant referee, reported Efe. This was a showdown of two teams who have come to Russian Federation to win, not fine-tune preparations for the World Cup.
Given the above, it will not come as a surprise that the Mexican squad is stacked with world-class players. As hosts of next year's World Cup, the Russians are short of competitive action to sharpen them up, while Tuesday's opponents Portugal are still in the midst of a qualifying campaign. El Tri would find their last-gasp equalizer from the head of Hector Moreno to force Portugal to split points on the day.
"We wanted to win, of course, but we have to be satisfied with this result against the European champions", Chicharito said.More news: Perez rubbishes talk of Manchester United deal for Morata
Prior to that, Portugal had twice taken the lead in the contest.
- Who Was Charleena Lyles? She Was Shot & Killed After Calling 911
- New 'transforming' Forever Stamp commemorates August 21 total solar eclipse
- Perez says he hasn't spoken to Ronaldo about rumors of exit
- Auto bombing on govt building in Somali capital kills at least 10
- Judge Finds Defendant Guilty; Manslaughter Law Extending to New Grounds?
- Durant to opt out and re-sign with Warriors
- Georgia race finally heads to voters; DC watching closely
- Severe weather expected to affect 60 million Americans Monday
- Kia announces Stonic SUV to take on Nissan Juke
- Iran sends a message with missile strike in Syria