Real Madrid turned down the opportunity to sign goalkeeper David de Gea from Manchester United last summer, club president Florentino Perez said on Tuesday while playing down the possibility of bidding for the Spain worldwide again.
When speaking publicly on Monday, after having run unopposed to return as president for the next four years, Perez did not reference Ronaldo when discussing the current state of Los Blancos.More news: EgyptAir tweet & delete Liverpool, Mohamed Salah news
"I'm sure he will speak to us about what has happened (with the tax case), which has obviously affected his credibility, and we'll see what happens". I'll talk to him and he'll have to tell me.
And among the first issues he will have to deal with is Ronaldo, who he bought in 2009 from Manchester United for a record €94m.
The reports of Ronaldo's alleged willingness to move away from the Spanish capital came after a Spanish prosecutor accused the 32-year-old forward of tax fraud between the years 2011-2014. He allegedly failed to pay income tax on 15 million euros of his earnings and seems to blame the club and the Spanish League.
Perez said he could understood why the four-times world player of the year had been upset after he was accused last week of evading 14.7 million euros in tax through offshore companies.More news: Brexit Secretary David Davis targeting a 'deal like no other in history'
Perez first became Real president in 2000, seeing off incumbent Lorenzo Sanz by promising to lure winger Luis Figo from bitter rivals Barcelona, which he quickly delivered on by bringing the Portuguese global to the Spanish capital for a then world record fee of 62 million euros.
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo (in black) celebrates a goal. I do not know what happened, everything is unusual.More news: Iran launches missiles into Syria in revenge for attacks
Eight years on, Ronaldo has scored a club-record 406 goals in 394 appearances.
- Seattle: We stand with our Muslim neighbors
- Google leverages search engine expertise to launch robust employment engine
- Justices take on fight over partisan electoral maps
- European court rules in favor of Russian gay activists
- Jharkhand JAC Class 12 Arts Result 2017 Declared: Check results at jac
- Orlando Remembers Pulse Victims One Year After Shooting
- Contreras hits HR, Baez scores on error, Cubs beat Padres
- West Indies annouces 13-member squad for 1st two ODIs against India
- Carrie Fisher autopsy reveals cocaine, ecstasy
- Eurozone agrees Greek bailout payment, International Monetary Fund comes on board