The driver of the van in Monday morning's attack was arrested after he was seized and prevented from fleeing by bystanders; a Muslim imam reportedly prevented the crowd from injuring the attacker. The man receiving first aid is now reported to have died at the scene, while eight others sustained serious injuries from the van.
Witnesses described hearing the van driver shout: "I'm going to kill Muslims" and "I've done my bit".More news: Beyonce's dad angers fans by confirming birth of twins
"We told them the situation, said there's as a man, he's restrained, he mowed down people with his van and there's a mob attempting to hurt him, if you don't take him, God forbid he might be seriously hurt", he said.
A witness, Abdiqadir Warra, told AFP that the van "drove at people" and that some of the victims were carried for several meters along the road.
Mohammed Mahmoud, an Imam at Finsbury Park Mosque, gives a statement to the media at a police cordon in the Finsbury Park area of north London on June 19, 2017, following a vehicle attack on pedestrians.
Qasimi blamed Islamophobia for the attack, saying: "This guy was extreme right wing, trying to kill Muslims because they are Muslims". The man's name was not released.More news: Russian Federation to track US-led coalition aircraft over Syria as potential targets
The incident follows only weeks after a vehicle was driven into pedestrians on London Bridge by Islamist militants who then attacked crowds in Borough Market with knives, killing eight people.
London's police commander Cressida Dick said the attack was clearly aimed at Muslims. "A post mortem examination will be scheduled due course", Metropolitan Police said.
"I have assured the leadership of the mosque and the Muslim welfare centre of our prayers and support", he said.
Prime Minister Theresa May said she would chair an emergency security Cabinet session later Monday.More news: Bill Cosby Remains A Free Man, Gets A Mistrial
- BJP Picks Bihar Bengal Gov for President, Dividied Opposition Continues to Waffle
- Congressman injured in shooting upgraded from 'critical' to 'serious' condition
- UK police: London mosque attack suspect now arrested on terror grounds
- Duterte resurfaces after rest, says Islamist insurgency has deep roots
- Russia Threatens United States After Fighter Jet Being Shot Down
- Faf: T20 Global League great chance for domestic players
- Supreme Court Further Curbs Plaintiffs' Venue Shopping With Bristol-Myers Ruling
- Indonesia launches patrols with neighbors in lawless waters
- Sheriff says Ohio man is suspect in 5 slayings
- Otto Warmbier 'unresponsive', has been in coma for a year