Joe Hinrichs, president for global operations, said the decision to export from the Chongqing plant "was not a variable cost decision", adding that it allows Ford "to free up a lot of capital" with than managing two plants in the United States.
DETROIT (AP) Ford Motor Co. will export vehicles from China to the USA for the first time starting in 2019.
The news comes despite the Chinese government's new restrictions announced last week that severely limit new players from entering its automotive market, while strictly controlling expansion by both domestic manufacturers and foreign joint ventures.More news: Real president Perez 'not contemplating' Ronaldo departure
The decision comes as auto sales continue to fall in the US and as uncertainty grows over the automotive industry in Mexico with negotiations set be begin later this year on restructuring the North American Free Trade Agreement.
Sales of the Focus were down 20 per cent through May this year.
In May, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said he hoped to define plans for China production "by the end of this year" while describing reports that China may relax rules for foreign ownership as "good timing", according to Barron's.
Ford stock fell 0.8 percent at $11.15.More news: Macron to announce new government line-up
Ford on Tuesday said it would invest $900 million at its Kentucky truck plant to build the redesigned Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator full-size SUVs this fall.
On the campaign trail past year, President Donald Trump heaped scorn on American corporations, including Ford, for relying on overseas factories.
Ford's president of global operations Joe Hinrichs says the move will save Ford US$1 billion, including $500 million from cancelling a new plant in Mexico that was meant to build the Focus. The factory on the outskirts of Detroit where the Focus is now produced will be restructured so that it can manufacture the Ford Ranger pickup and the Ford Bronco SUV.
But the move is more bad news for Mexico than it is for the United States.More news: U.S. lawmaker shot by anti-Trump gunman showing improvement
- Justice CS Karnan, At War With Supreme Court Judges, Arrested In Coimbatore
- Ed Sheeran, James Corden sing 'Shape of You' in new Carpool Karaoke
- Tropical weather likely in Gulf
- Allegiant Air to begin service at Norfolk International Airport
- Foo Fighters announce new album Concrete and Gold
- Firefox Focus available for download on the Play Store
- Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor finalize fight for Aug
- New $40K reward offered in missing Chinese scholar case
- Gal Gadot Posts New Video Thanking Fans For WONDER WOMAN Success
- Gunman went to Republican baseball practice with a list of names