Monday, 11 December 2017
Latest news
Main » Gunmen killed 8 Afghan guards of a US base

Gunmen killed 8 Afghan guards of a US base

20 June 2017

An Afghan official says that eight Afghan security guards have been killed by gunmen who opened fire on them in northern Parwan province.

Analysts say such attacks are expected to increase this year as U.S. troops engage with the Afghan military to double the size of its special forces, considered to be effective in the fight against insurgents.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the incident so far.

The deteriorating security situation and increasing trend of terror attacks in Afghanistan have impelled the Afghans to immigrate to other countries.

More news: Tightening Cuban Relations Is Bad Policy and Bad for Democracy

Abdullah Abdullah, the country's Chief Executive, first announced the incident during a live TV broadcast.

"They were all local residents serving as guards at Bagram", he said, adding that two other guards were wounded. He said the killings, which are under investigation, had 'shocked us all'.

In November 2016, a suicide bombing inside the base killed four Americans and injured 17 people.

Afghan authorities on Tuesday arrested a teenager who had meant to blow himself up at Bagram Air Field, officials said. The different casualty tolls could not immediately be reconciled.

More news: Adele visits London firefighters after tower block blaze

Associated Press writer Maamoun Youssef in Cairo contributed to this report.

Tensions have been high in Kabul since a truck bomb on 31 May killed more than 150 people and wounded hundreds in the fortified diplomatic quarter, the deadliest attack in the Afghan capital since 2001.

In this photo taken on Tuesday, Jun 6, 2017, protesters sit under a tent as they listen during a long protest against insecurity in Kabul, Afghanistan.

More news: Perez says he hasn't spoken to Ronaldo about rumors of exit

Gunmen killed 8 Afghan guards of a US base