An Afghan official says that eight Afghan security guards have been killed by gunmen who opened fire on them in northern Parwan province.
Analysts say such attacks are expected to increase this year as U.S. troops engage with the Afghan military to double the size of its special forces, considered to be effective in the fight against insurgents.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the incident so far.
The deteriorating security situation and increasing trend of terror attacks in Afghanistan have impelled the Afghans to immigrate to other countries.More news: Tightening Cuban Relations Is Bad Policy and Bad for Democracy
Abdullah Abdullah, the country's Chief Executive, first announced the incident during a live TV broadcast.
"They were all local residents serving as guards at Bagram", he said, adding that two other guards were wounded. He said the killings, which are under investigation, had 'shocked us all'.
In November 2016, a suicide bombing inside the base killed four Americans and injured 17 people.
Afghan authorities on Tuesday arrested a teenager who had meant to blow himself up at Bagram Air Field, officials said. The different casualty tolls could not immediately be reconciled.More news: Adele visits London firefighters after tower block blaze
Associated Press writer Maamoun Youssef in Cairo contributed to this report.
Tensions have been high in Kabul since a truck bomb on 31 May killed more than 150 people and wounded hundreds in the fortified diplomatic quarter, the deadliest attack in the Afghan capital since 2001.
In this photo taken on Tuesday, Jun 6, 2017, protesters sit under a tent as they listen during a long protest against insecurity in Kabul, Afghanistan.More news: Perez says he hasn't spoken to Ronaldo about rumors of exit
- Woman picks up deadly rattlesnake thinking it was a toy
- Gold Plunges To 7-Month Low On Robust US Supplies
- What we know: Pedestrians struck near north London mosque
- Russian Federation win Confederation Cup opener
- PM Modi says Uttar Pradesh on the road to development under Adityanath
- Amit Shah meets Uddhav Thackeray
- SMMT calls for interim trade agreements with European Union as Brexit talks begin
- Belmont Stakes Preview and Analysis: Irish War Cry Morning Line Favorite
- Trump's legal plan built in his image: Fight, fight, fight
- Bihar Governor Kovind is NDA nominee for President's post