In addition to always unsafe lightning these storms will bring very strong straight-line winds (and perhaps a tornado somewhere) along with very heavy rains. This means conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch area.
Thunderstorms are forecast for Monday afternoon in Baltimore, with the possibility of heavy rain and damaging winds, the National Weather Service said.More news: Grenfell Tower families to receive minimum of £5500 from No 10
The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for parts of northwestern and northern CT on Monday.
A severe thunderstorm watch went into effect at 11:30 a.m. for all five boroughs, Long Island, and these areas in New Jersey and CT.More news: Google leverages search engine expertise to launch robust employment engine
"Localized rainfall rates in excess of 2 inches in less than an hour are possible", the statement said. After a partly sunny start to the day, it will become mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms developing. You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued. Heavy rain began to fall in Easton about 11:30 a.m.
The areas under the greatest threat are those along and to the west of Interstate 95, forecasters wrote. The organization warned that flash flooding is unsafe and that residents should be prepared to take safety measures.More news: European court rules in favor of Russian gay activists
Showers and storms are likely later this afternoon and evening as a cold front makes its way into Kentucky. Monday's high temperature is expected to approach 77 degrees, followed by a low of around 65 degrees Monday night.
- Seattle Police Kill Pregnant Woman Who Called 911 For Help
- Technology CEOs urged to join Trump initiative
- Elon Musk gives promising update on creating a tunnel network under LA
- Donald Trump blasts court for ruling against travel ban at "dangerous time"
- UCLA School of Law's Supreme Court clinic wins landmark trademark case
- New Analyst Ratings For EMIS Group (LON:EMIS)
- Oracle skipper Spithill tough on, off water in America's Cup
- Special Counsel Is Reportedly Investigating Jared Kushner's Business Dealings
- EgyptAir tweet & delete Liverpool, Mohamed Salah news
- West Indies annouces 13-member squad for 1st two ODIs against India