In addition to always unsafe lightning these storms will bring very strong straight-line winds (and perhaps a tornado somewhere) along with very heavy rains. This means conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch area.
Thunderstorms are forecast for Monday afternoon in Baltimore, with the possibility of heavy rain and damaging winds, the National Weather Service said.More news: Still in Critical Condition After London Fire
The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for parts of northwestern and northern CT on Monday.
A severe thunderstorm watch went into effect at 11:30 a.m. for all five boroughs, Long Island, and these areas in New Jersey and CT.More news: Contreras hits HR, Baez scores on error, Cubs beat Padres
"Localized rainfall rates in excess of 2 inches in less than an hour are possible", the statement said. After a partly sunny start to the day, it will become mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms developing. You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued. Heavy rain began to fall in Easton about 11:30 a.m.
The areas under the greatest threat are those along and to the west of Interstate 95, forecasters wrote. The organization warned that flash flooding is unsafe and that residents should be prepared to take safety measures.More news: Oracle skipper Spithill tough on, off water in America's Cup
Showers and storms are likely later this afternoon and evening as a cold front makes its way into Kentucky. Monday's high temperature is expected to approach 77 degrees, followed by a low of around 65 degrees Monday night.
- Technology CEOs urged to join Trump initiative
- European court rules in favor of Russian gay activists
- Jharkhand JAC Class 12 Arts Result 2017 Declared: Check results at jac
- West Indies annouces 13-member squad for 1st two ODIs against India
- Man Utd have concerns about Cristiano Ronaldo bid
- UCLA School of Law's Supreme Court clinic wins landmark trademark case
- Google leverages search engine expertise to launch robust employment engine
- Brexit Secretary David Davis targeting a 'deal like no other in history'
- Puerto Rico's Vote for Statehood Means Nothing
- EgyptAir tweet & delete Liverpool, Mohamed Salah news