But then it became a hurricane.
So what's the latest on the summer's surprise transfer story, how likely is it to happen, and why has the news come out now?
Several sources are claiming that the 32-year-old wants out of Madrid for various reasons, including their lack of support regarding his tax fraud matter and disunity in the dressing room. Maybe it is something he said in a moment when he's really angry.
More news: New OnePlus 5 camera samples are out by company CEO
Why does he want to leave? .
The Portugal global insists he wants to leave Spain after allegations of £12.9million fraud.
The players' advisers, though, have been told to find a way out of Spain for Ronaldo, who is apparently upset after he was recently accused of tax evasion amounting to £13m.
Ronaldo led Real Madrid to their 12th European Cup earlier this month after scoring two goals in a 4-1 victory over Juventus in the Champions League final, becoming the tournament's top scorer.
The Portuguese superstar wants Jorge Mendes to "do everything possible" to make the move happen.
Ronaldo is understood to be very close to Pepe, confiding in him during their time together at Real and with the national team.More news: Death toll from London inferno rises to 58
What are the Spanish papers saying? .
"I am leaving Real Madrid", Marca said Ronaldo told his Portuguese colleagues.
El Pais reports that Mendes is now seeking a new destination for his client, while Madrid are hopeful the player will have a change of heart in time.
Ronaldo has often flirted with the idea of returning to United, but he has a number of options open to him if he desires a fresh start.
"I am not a saint, but I am also not a devil like many people think I am".More news: Moto Z2 specifications leak, SD 835, 4GB RAM and more
For its part, Read Madrid have never hidden the fact they covet talented Manchester goalkeeper De Gea and have made multiple attempts to woo him away from the United Kingdom during recent transfer periods.
- Microsoft's Albert Penello on Xbox One's "post-X" future
- US Oil Prices Tumble Below $45 After Surprise Build in Gasoline Inventories
- Reports swirl about Beyonce's twins, but no confirmation yet
- Gap on climate change unveiled at G7 ministerial meeting in Italy
- Newtown-area NBC station won't air Megyn Kelly's interview with Alex Jones
- Steve Scalise Upgraded To 'Serious Condition' And Is Speaking To Family
- 58 people confirmed or presumed dead from London tower fire
- Conrad Roy's 'Thrilled' Grandpa Demands Michelle Carter Get 'Maximum' Sentence
- Macron's party claims parliament victory despite low turnout
- GJM-police clashes: One killed, IRB officer seriously injured