Mourinho regards Dier as the long-term substitute for Michael Carrick, one more United purchase from Spurs 11 years back, that has actually been provided one more 1 year expansion to keep him at Old Trafford till the summer of 2018.
Having impressed at White Hart Lane since joining in 2014 the 23-year-old has become a target for other clubs.More news: Keller leads Charleston to 3-0 win over Columbia
However, any attempts to lure him away from north London will cost United £50m, says the Telegraph.
They can offer the 18-times capped player substantially better wages, which could prove tempting.More news: Germany: no punishment for UK, but EU exit good for no one
'I must say negotiations were very hard and went on for ages [when trying to sign Michael Carrick].
'It was very hard to negotiate but, at the end of the day, we got it through and, ever since he joined us, he's had a fantastic career'.
The England global could reportedly even be used as a makeweight in a potential swap deal for apparent Mourinho target Eric Dier who is valued at £50 million by Spurs. Smalling would have no problem settling straight into Premier League football and also played an important role in United's Europa League triumph a year ago.More news: Can Amazon persuade enough people to buy fresh food online?
- Mamata called us terrorists, not ready for talks with WB govt: GJM
- Canadian Henderson tames strong winds for fourth LPGA win
- US Ethics Office Releases Trump Financial Disclosure Forms
- Four foreign inmates escape Bali jail using tunnel
- Taliban attack kills five Afghan police, injures 18
- Russian Federation eases to 2-0 Confederations Cup win over New Zealand
- 30000 from Andhra Pradesh for UPSC Prelims today
- GOP's Scalise Upgraded to Serious Condition After More Surgery
- VAR Is The Star As Chile Slip Past Cameroon
- Ruddy: Mueller Appears 'Out to Get the President'