The investigation began soon after the dismissal in May of the director of the FBI, James Comey, who was conducting an investigation into alleged links between the members of Trump's election headquarters and Russian Federation.
Accusations of obstruction arose last month when Trump fired former Federal Bureau of Investigation director James Comey.More news: Saudi-Turkish ties strained over differing views on Qatar
The Washington Post has said Mueller was seeking interviews with three Trump administration officials not involved in Trump's campaign: Dan Coats, the director of national intelligence; Michael Rogers, the head of the National Security Agency; and Richard Ledgett, the former NSA deputy director, the AP said. Mueller is overseeing a host of investigations involving people who are or were in Trump's orbit, people familiar with the probe were quoted as saying.
The president did not directly address allegations that he is being probed for possibly obstructing justice - a potentially impeachable offense.
Trump denied Comey's allegations and said he would be willing to go under oath to give his version of their interactions.
Comey was later sacked, with Trump acknowledging that the Russian investigation was on his mind when he chose to dismiss him. Rosenstein in a memo to Trump raised concerns over Comey, and later appointed Mueller as special counsel. "#MAGA", Trump tweeted later on Thursday morning.More news: Scattered Storms Monday Morning
Recently, Comey made a startling revelation, accusing the White House of "lies".
"The message the president is sending through his tweets is that he believes the rule of law doesn't apply to him and that anyone who thinks otherwise will be fired", Feinstein said in her statement. Sessions cited the policy of the Justice Department, but also said that he did not want to limit Trump's ability to invoke executive privilege.
The second, the source continued, is whether any potential offences were committed, Mr Trump or others attempted to cover them up or obstruct the investigation into them.More news: In spite of tweet, lawyer says Trump not under investigation
- Trump right to make Cuba pay for its intransigence
- U.S. shoots down Syrian jet for the first time in civil war
- USA crude stockpiles dip, gasoline builds unexpectedly
- US Soldiers Wounded in Afghanistan in Possible Insider Attack
- Suspected jihadists attack spa in Mali's capital, 2 dead
- Obstruction of justice case on Trump
- Ronaldo Interested In Manchester United Return
- Palestinians deny IS claim for deadly attack on Israeli
- Portugal awaits foreign aid to help battle fires
- Friday: Behind the Headlines - A local perspective on the Alexandria shooting