Notably, James Comey, who was sacked by Trump last month, publicly testified this month that Trump had told him to ease off on his former national security adviser Michael Flynn, who was under the FBI investigation for his Russian links.More news: Rep. Steve Scalise's Condition is Upgraded, Watched Baseball Game
Last week, the ranking Democrat on the House intelligence committee, Rep. Adam Schiff of California, said the committee would ask Johnson to testify about interactions former President Barack Obama's administration had with secretaries of state and local election officials about the dangers the Russian hacking posed to election systems.More news: Putin says US sanctions will 'complicate relations'
If true, the investigation represents an expansion of Mr Mueller's original probe into links between Moscow and the 2016 Trump presidential election campaign.
Comey confirmed as much in a Senate hearing last week. The order by the general counsel for his transition team casts a wide net on documents that could shed light on ties between Trump's presidential campaign and representatives of Russia's government.
Mr. Mueller has reportedly already scheduled interviews with several senior intelligence officials.More news: German minister sees hope of 'soft' Brexit, with conditions
There has been no indication that Mr Mueller told the president to fire Mr Comey. The Post spoke with five people briefed on the inquiries, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the probe publicly. Comey was sacked by the president on May 9 while he was overseeing the investigation into potential Russian interference into last year's election and potential collusion with the Trump presidential campaign. The White House has denied any collusion, and Trump has repeatedly complained about the probe, saying Democrats can not accept his election win. He testified that he leaked information about the notes through a friend to the Times to increase pressure for the appointment of a special prosecutor after he concluded Mr. Trump's administration "defamed" him and the Federal Bureau of Investigation after his May 9 firing.
- Japan May exports jump 14.9% year/year - MOF
- Bogaerts hits 2 homers to lead Red Sox over Astros 6-5
- Euro zone yields off lows as US policymakers hike rates again
- Russian Federation scores wild first goal vs. New Zealand at 2017 Confederations Cup
- Kohli, Sharma collapse in high-octane Champions Trophy final
- Liontrust Asset Management PLC
- Protests Following Afghan Blasts Call for Security Chiefs to Step Down
- Champions Trophy final: India opt to field against Pak
- Number of global displaced up to 65.6 million last year
- Amir, Fakhar lead Pakistan to Champions Trophy triumph