Rosenstein - in charge because Attorney General Jeff Sessions has recused himself from the investigation into the Trump campaign's ties with Russian Federation - then appointed Mueller as special counsel.
President Donald Trump confirmed Friday, June 16, 2017, he was under investigation and appeared to take aim at a senior Justice Department official, in a tweet that seemed to encapsulate his frustration with the ongoing focus on Russia's involvement in the 2016 election.
According to the Washington Post, Mueller's investigation had included whether Trump carried out obstruction of justice after Comey testified that the president had urged him to halt Michael Flynn's investigation, his former national security adviser.More news: North Korea: US officials seized diplomatic package at JFK
"If he fires Mueller, I will tell you, we are right on the brink of a constitutional crisis", the IL senator said.
It's yet another tweet that's unleashed intense media speculation... a presidential post of less than 140 characters.
Trump did not respond to shouted questions from the media as he was leaving the White House lawns to board Marine One for the Joint Andres Air Force Base for his day-long trip to Florida. In a series of tweets on Friday morning the president confirmed that he was being investigated for firing James Comey on May 9th.
Mr Flynn was forced out in February after he misled the vice-president about his conversations with Russia's ambassador before Mr Trump took office.More news: Donald Trump acknowledges he is under investigation in Russia probe
However, The Washington Post report on Wednesday said that changed shortly after Mr Comey's firing. Though Mr Pence was not involved in Mr Trump's presidential campaign, he may be called as a witness in the investigation into links between the Trump campaign team and Russian Federation. "Witch Hunt", President Trump tweeted on Friday morning. He testified that he leaked information about the notes through a friend to the Times to increase pressure for the appointment of a special prosecutor after he concluded Trump's administration "defamed" him and the Federal Bureau of Investigation after his May 9 firing.
"Why is that Hillary Clinton's family and Dems dealings with Russian Federation are not looked at, but my non-dealings are?" he asked.
On Thursday Trump derided a "witch hunt" against him, led by some "very bad" people.
"The President was not confirming the investigation".More news: Man Utd target Morata gets married in Venice
- Hunter Greene: Getting to know No. 2 overall baseball draft pick
- Cosby jurors wrap up for night, still at impasse
- Has ISIS head Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi been killed?
- Champions Trophy 2017: Pakistan break ICC tournaments jinx against India
- Flash flood alerts extended, Tropical Wave remains across Jamaica
- Trump's Cuba Policy Draws Mixed Reactions From Travel Companies And Other Businesses
- Xbox One X will not generate profits for Microsoft
- Sublime Fakhar leads Pakistan to 338-4 in final
- Wife of Virginia shooter James Hodgkinson: 'I'm sorry that he did this'
- Trump lawyer says Trump not under investigation, despite Trump's tweet