Dubbed the Financial CHOICE Act and sponsored by House Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling, R-Texas, pundits say the legislation is nonetheless unlikely to move forward in the Senate, despite Thursday's high-profile vote.
"This legislation would put an end to the disastrous, overreaching Dodd-Frank law that did nothing to end "too big to fail" and devastated our community bankers in the process", Comer said.
The legislation also repeals Dodd-Frank's Durbin amendment, which places limits on debit card processing fees, and the Volcker Rule, which bans banks from speculatively investing borrowed money in ways proven not to benefit customers, among other cuts to provisions specifically created to protect the average Jill.More news: Lockheed signs pact with Tata to make F-16 planes in India
Claudia Tenney of NY, a member of the House Financial Services Committee, said while Dodd-Frank was created to prevent another too big to fail situation, it has exasperated the problem.
Supporters of the bill argue that these regulations restrict American business and commerce, and that loosening them up will lead to economic prosperity.More news: Michelle Carter, Who Texted Her Boyfriend To Kill Himself, Is Found Guilty
This is published unedited from the IANS feed. Also, the American Bankers Association expressed disappointment that the bill had retained Dodd-Frank limits on debit card fees. This bill is good for the economy, provides much-needed relief to small businesses, and empowers individuals to make decisions about their financial future.
The Democrat described his own experience working with banks and said the bill favors the interests of politicians. Graves opposed the bank bailouts after the 2007-08 financial crisis, while also voting against allowing the federal government to bail out the auto industry.More news: 2nd LD: Protesters storm local town hall over London fire
- Imam stops angry Muslims assailing London van suspect
- Republican firm leaks personal info of 198 million USA voters
- UK PM May says attack on Muslims near mosque is "sickening"
- Cosby jury reviews accuser's testimony amid deliberations
- 4 jihadis killed in Mali attack
- Saudi Naval Forces Seize Boat, Weapons Near Oil Field
- Police provide reassurances after London attack
- Israel Reduces Electricity Supply to Gaza
- Number of people assumed dead in London tower block blaze to rise
- Bear kills teen runner during mountain race